XP or Dell driver problems

Thread: XP or Dell driver problems

XP or Dell driver problems

Hi,

This might be an XP or Dell problem, I'm not sure.

My poor old laptop needs to survive just a few more months until I get my tuition reimbursement for fall. It's a Dell Inspiron 5100 with that damn Radeon Mobility thing.

Video isn't working, and the computer just decides to shut off once in awhile at random. It isn't the heat--the computer never shuts itself off unless video or music is playing, never any other time. But I need to use some video and music stuff for the end of this semester, so I need to get this fixed.

I don't think this is a virus or hijack problem. It's probably hardware or drivers. The Dell website didn't offer much help. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome to Windrivers Danny

Dell support and drivers are usually pretty good - what's the service tag on the laptop?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

reboot and try pressing F12 when you see the 'dell' logo... this should take you to a dell diagnostic partition. test the motherboard and video and let us know the results

Quote Originally Posted by danny_2
    ... It isn't the heat--the computer never shuts itself off unless video or music is playing, never any other time.
    This might be related to heat after all - while playing music or Video (especially using windows media player - which is very poorly written IMHO) your CPU might get overheated. first do a burn in test - http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

second - try using VLC (very light video player) in order to play your media files.

Last but not least - If my memory serves me well - mobile radeon graphic card has "power play" in order to conserve CPU power - try to see the settings there.

Good Luck,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence