Uptime
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uptime

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar

Uptime

Last year, I built up a small Windows 2000 machine for recording video from a netcam I installed here to watch our lobby area. Anyhow, its nothing spectacular, but what's cool is I officially hit a year uptime a few days ago:

Not too shabby for an old P3 machine transferring 5-10GB of data a day.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    3fingersalute-I am really interested in the motherboard.

Is it a 440BX?

It is great to see something work properly for an extended
    period of time.

You did a good assembly job 1 year ago.

Congratulations on a job well done.

what about updates? LOL. It would drive me crazy when you need a server to be up all the time and would have to update and have to reboot.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Quote Originally Posted by street1
    3fingersalute-I am really interested in the motherboard.

Is it a 440BX?

It is great to see something work properly for an extended
    period of time.

You did a good assembly job 1 year ago.

Congratulations on a job well done.
    Actually, it wasn't assembled a year ago, it is an old Gateway 2000 computer that was upgraded to a PIII/733 about 4 years ago using an Intel board that does indeed use the 440 chipset.

So, this machine is actually fairly dated, and still runs like a champ for long periods of time!

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    what about updates? LOL. It would drive me crazy when you need a server to be up all the time and would have to update and have to reboot.
    This machine does not have any internet access, so it doesn't really get any updates other than some virus updates which are pushed locally over the LAN. Its not an actual server either, is just a 2000 Pro box used for recording and archiving video files from an Axis netcam.

Oh ok. Great job
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    This machine does not have any internet access, so it doesn't really get any updates other than some virus updates which are pushed locally over the LAN. Its not an actual server either, is just a 2000 Pro box used for recording and archiving video files from an Axis netcam.
    But it's still on the network; therefore prone to attack from outside? That is, anything that gets in over the lan.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    But it's still on the network; therefore prone to attack from outside? That is, anything that gets in over the lan.

emr
    firewall it - if it ain't broke don't fix it... The problem with old pcs and video software is that just about anything can break it... it's stable, let it be.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    firewall it - if it ain't broke don't fix it... The problem with old pcs and video software is that just about anything can break it... it's stable, let it be.
    Exactly, get it behind a firewall. I would chuck it behind a router and have it on a different subnet with no way for it to be got at from anywhere else on the network unless you specifically authorise it; or for it to get at anything else on your network.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    Exactly, get it behind a firewall. I would chuck it behind a router and have it on a different subnet with no way for it to be got at from anywhere else on the network unless you specifically authorise it; or for it to get at anything else on your network.

emr
    Give it its own vlan...cheapest option if it's on a managed switch.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It's actually on its own segmented LAN. Only thing on that LAN is the video camera and the box that the uptime screenshot is from. There is a port at my desk that is also connected to the same small switch; and I plug into that port when I need to Netmeeting into this box for any reason or to copy/delete video files.

It's actually on its own segmented LAN. Only thing on that LAN is the video camera and the box that the uptime screenshot is from. There is a port at my desk that is also connected to the same small switch; and I plug into that port when I need to Netmeeting into this box for any reason or to copy/delete video files.
    You got it all covered then. Waiting for the next screenshot in 362 days!

emr

So you don't want any help redesigning your LAN then?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    So you don't want any help redesigning your LAN then?
    I would gladly take it, but I'm 2nd fiddle here, so I don't get to call the shots. I hope to get some Cisco training down the road to learn how to tweak these switches better - at the moment I have that Windows 2000 box on its own little Linksys switch because the VLAN thing is a mystery to me.

I would gladly take it, but I'm 2nd fiddle here, so I don't get to call the shots. I hope to get some Cisco training down the road to learn how to tweak these switches better - at the moment I have that Windows 2000 box on its own little Linksys switch because the VLAN thing is a mystery to me.
    VLAN is a very simple concept.... if you know how to place a router into a network to break up the network into different lans, then apply that ability to a managed switch which can route according to it's set up. It separates a single physical network into a number of LANS and the user can only traverse the different lans if allowed - gives it a lot of security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN has a nice explanation... but it doesn't go into dynamic VLANS which I think are brilliant... the VLAN is assigned to the user on the basis of login credentials, meaning that a person can login anywhere on the LAN (or WAN) and get nothing but their authorised segment(s) of the network... this works for both wired and wireless.