Need help!

Thread: Need help!

Unhappy Need help!

I have a Abit SH6 (i815E chipset) mobo, had 256mb installed purchased another 256mb from different place,

Dimm 1 128mb pc133 2 banks
    Dimm 2 128mb pc133 2 banks
    Dimm 3 128mb pc133 1 bank
    Dimm 4 128mb pc133 1 bank

bios sees all the memory as 512mb, but have been having trouble running 3dmark2001, error message about corrupted textures which after checking the FAQ, suggested problem with the memory sticks, ran norton utils diagnostic's which also turned up and error, removed 256mb everthing runs fine including whichever set of 256mb I use just not together any idea's or advice to find a way so that I could use all of it without error?

Cool

I sounds like the motherboard can only take memory in a certain way. Check the motherboard manual and the Abit web site, it could be a bad RAM stick.

The Intel 815 chipset does have a limit of 512 Mb, and it could be mixing double and single sided chips.

Try alternating between the four. Put one old one in, then one of the new sticks. Try it one a different system altogether just to make sure, the RAM may not like each other. (Happened before to me once.)
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

darkspyre0

my rule of thumb is to NEVER buy generic ram!!! i ONLY buy micron! But if i have generic ram i don't mix them. That could be the case... try it with just one brand of generic or just one stick individually and test it that way

Are all the RAM chips the same. IE are they all single sided/same speed? If you have one slower than the other try it in bank1, otherwise it is possible that the memory is not compatible together in that machine.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Exclamation

I have checked each ram stick they all work but it seems just not together, I believe that I have learnt a lesson in memory buying anyone want some to buy some memory?

I've seen somethere on NET, what Intel815 chipset motherboards cann't handle all 4 memory slots filled,only 3 slots max...
    May be I'm wrong,though...