Grrr...How Do I Configure the IP & Subnet Mask HPLJ 8150

Thread: Grrr...How Do I Configure the IP & Subnet Mask HPLJ 8150

I need to change the IP and Subnet mask, but Jetadmin won't detect the current settings since it's currently on subnet 255.0.0.0 and I can't seem to find the settings on the printers display panel to set the IP/Subnet, I only see TCP/IP=Yes.

Help please!

I'm spending more time on this freakin' printer than I anticipated. Geeze!

First of all print a config page.. that will tell you the current settings.
    Then use a browser and connect to the IP of the printer..
    You should be able to change it from the panel too... those menus are not that complicated... I guess when you go to the TCP/IP section you hit menu again...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I already printed a config page and I am unable to ping the IP it has listed. Already tried going to the browser page, but since I can't ping that doesn't do me any good either.

Anybody, know how to configure the IP/Subnet mask from the display panel?

Thank you.

Add a static IP to your PC that is in the subnet of your printer.

Alternatively - works only for SOME devices - add a new entry for the printer in the ARP table of your PC
    arp -s new_ip_of_printer mac_of_printer
    then ping the "new" printer IP.. if successful, use the browser to connect and do the changes. Remember, this may or may not work...
    in the arp command enter the MAC in 12-34-56.. format

Quote Originally Posted by FishBoneForOne View Post
    I already printed a config page and I am unable to ping the IP it has listed. Already tried going to the browser page, but since I can't ping that doesn't do me any good either.

Anybody, know how to configure the IP/Subnet mask from the display panel?

Thank you.
    read here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

HP has the full manual here

Appendix B covers control menus; EIO Menu info starts on page 460 and includes manual configuration info.

If the network configuration prevents you from accessing the default IP address for the printer via the network and using the built-in web server, I think the easiest method is just connecting the printer to a laptop, setting IP configuration on the laptop to a range that's compatible with the printer and using the web server to configure the printer. Some of the control panel setups will make you barking mad before you get through them.

If you have multiple JetDirect print servers on the network, it's probably worth the effort to set up HP's Web Jetadmin software.

It's just over a 170 MB download, and the installation is really slow, plus as I suppose we've come to expect from HP software, it's a little buggy. Still worth a look if you're managing several JetDirect servers, but I wouldn't mess with it if I were only dealing with 2 or 3 printers.

Just for the record Adding a static IP to your PC that is in the subnet of your printer didn't work. Sound good though, but that was a no go and I already had the HP Admin JetDirect Software installed, however it still failed to find that printer even though I set the Discovery option to find the printer in subnet 255.0.0.0 which is were it was, but of course, it's now been changed to the correct subnet after applying the solution below.

Anyway, what did work was going to the EIO JetDirect Input Menu/Select DHCP and Set to DHCP=No You are then prompted to put in each octet one at a time, meaning it doesn't show all 4 octets at once so after each entry, hit select to move forward to the next entry.

Thanks everybody. Finally I can print over here.
    Last edited by FishBoneForOne; October 21st, 2008 at 04:35 PM.

Oh just wanted to add, by the way, that was a great idea too slgrieb about setting it up directly to the laptop. That would have been good too. I tell ya' it's the simple things that'll get ya.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by FishBoneForOne View Post
    Oh just wanted to add, by the way, that was a great idea too slgrieb about setting it up directly to the laptop.
    HEY THAT WAS MY IDEA!!!
    Add a static IP to your PC that is in the subnet of your printer.

I' surprised that JetAdmin didn't pick it up, but it seems like everytime I deal with a JetDirect card, they always seem unreasonably difficult. Why are the things that should be the simplest often so hard?