Print drivers within Roaming profile

Thread: Print drivers within Roaming profile

Print drivers within Roaming profile

Hello,

Having issues with Printer drivers in a Windows environment. Print server is Windows 2003 and clients run XP. Users are set up with roaming profiles, and when they log in to a local machine it gets pushed down. Old drivers stored in the roaming profile of users are causing issues with the new drivers maybe because the old ones are corrupt. How do I delete print drivers from a users roaming profile without removing roaming in general? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Sorry this might be a repost because I did not see my original posted- I will remember to not repost if I do not immediately see the original post)
    Last edited by Caveprod4; September 3rd, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Welcome to Windrivers Caveprod4

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet... but here is a knowledge base article which seems to answer your problem.

If not, can I ask if the printers actually need to roam? After all, they don't have legs like us humans! You could just connect them locally...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for getting back to me NooNoo.

That article doesn't tell me how to delete old printer drivers from a roaming profile, IE from the printhood folder. I am trying to remove old drivers from a users profile so that it will not download to a local machine. If you know of a way to do this than please let me know.

As far as connecting the printers locally, I connect the users printers through the network print server, then it gets stored in their roaming profile. The problem is that whenever a roaming profile user with bad printer drivers logs in locally to a machine, that bad driver corrupts the system32 spool folder for all users. I am trying to eliminate the bad drivers being downloaded locally by roaming profiles.

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The fixprnsrv.exe is a good utility to use, but it is for the print server itself and not for a roaming profile folder. Do you know of anything that I can use to clean up print drivers on a roaming profile? That seems to be the problem-when a roaming profile with a bad print driver is loaded onto a computer it corrupts the entire computer printing process for all users. If I could just find a way to remove these bad drivers out of the roaming profiles I think it would work.

Sorry I don't.... unless you make a script to create a new profile and delete the old...

OK then NooNoo, thanks for your help and quick response.