Outlook Error

Thread: Outlook Error

Outlook Error

Have a client who is getting a lot of NDR's lately. The office is running Outlook 2003 and is not on an Exchange Server. (Will Be Later), This client recieves the error of

554 5.7.1 <unknown[xx.xx.xx.xx]>: Client host rejected: Check your mail first.

I have googled and read till my eyes have crossed but have not come up with an explanation yet. Does anyone have an idea or run into this before?

TIA
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Check the settings required by the isp... often you have got smtp authentication ticked or unticked when it should be the other way round.

I find just deleting the email account and then adding it back manually sorts it out... but don't forget to close outlook and open it again before testing.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Was able to determine the problem. It seems the PST file was too large, causing all sorts of problems, mail hung in outbox, unable to download mail and etc. I opened the pst on my lab pc which contains xp 2003 outlook and was able to remove some of the deleted items. This allowed the client to gain normal access to his file. I then advised if the wantrd to keep their emails from way back when, to create an archive file for the individual years and archive the respective emails to the corresponding archive file. The client is back on track now. Thanks for the help.

ok... that doesn't make any sort of sense... but yah large pst files corrupt easily.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The reason it makes sense is they are using Outlook 2002. This version and earlier have a 2GB limit and since the client's pst file was 1.957GB, the limit had been reached. Once this was reduced below 1.7GB, the Outlook became functional in handling mailing and receiving. The reason behind the NDR's was due to Outlook not being able to handle the extra file especially since there were attachments, hence bringing up the default of being rejected since the mail could not be sent due to the oversized pst.