Help!: tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h552b

Thread: Help!: tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h552b

Help!: tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h552b

I've seen several threads with issues about tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h5552b burners. But all of the issues are nearly opposite of what I'm having.

This morning I used Windows Media Player to burn WMA files into a Audio Cd. My drive at the time, had been working without error, ever since I got the computer 3 weeks ago. While WMP got to the 'closing disk' stage of burning, it gave me a error that my disk might be currupted or damaged. So I stuck in another Cd-r. (Note: I do have Nero, just choosed to use WMP this time.)

Ever since then my Drive has been unable to read, or write to cd-r/cd-rws. I have tried many other cd-rs, even other brands, still doesn't work. It still can burn/read DVD-rs/DVD+rs. So to why it just stopped reading cd-rs/cd-rws confuses the hell out of me.

Any suggestions? Keep the techno babble (if possible) down for me, I get easly lost with computer terms.

Thanks in Advanced.

Everyone direct themselfs here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=65376

Your not going to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by linq
    Everyone direct themselfs here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=65376

Your not going to be happy.
    I'm happy .. I ain't got one ! .. Just joking , welcome to WD forums linq.

Lets start at the begining before though we conclude 'drive dead' which is what most folks on that other thread seem to have run away with impression of ..

First thing to try is testing the unit outside windoze to elimate as much software madness as we can, best & simplest method for this is to try booting from a windows system disk by changing your boot order in bios (don't let any 'resetup' run, just quit once you've seen it start up ) - if it can read CD disks there, then there's nothing wrong with the unit (besides maybe weird firmware issues, but that seems most unlikely at this point as you've had it working & generally you'd need to be writing some fresh firmware for this to be an issue, but errant writing software can corrupt firmware occasionally..) & then its on to what windows might be doing to matters..

Does nero produce you any error ?, & do we have any other 'cd/dvd type' writing applications or 'ennumerating' (virtual) products such as alcohol 120 or daemon tools ? If so, I'd try removing them all, & then add back one at a time (there's loads of technobabble why, but as you asked I shan't bore you, all you need to know is that 'multiple burning s/w' very often conflicts !)

Ts-h552b :-(

Quote Originally Posted by linq
    I've seen several threads with issues about tsstcorp cd/dvdw ts-h5552b burners. But all of the issues are nearly opposite of what I'm having.

This morning I used Windows Media Player to burn WMA files into a Audio Cd. My drive at the time, had been working without error, ever since I got the computer 3 weeks ago. While WMP got to the 'closing disk' stage of burning, it gave me a error that my disk might be currupted or damaged. So I stuck in another Cd-r. (Note: I do have Nero, just choosed to use WMP this time.)

Ever since then my Drive has been unable to read, or write to cd-r/cd-rws. I have tried many other cd-rs, even other brands, still doesn't work. It still can burn/read DVD-rs/DVD+rs. So to why it just stopped reading cd-rs/cd-rws confuses the hell out of me.

Any suggestions? Keep the techno babble (if possible) down for me, I get easly lost with computer terms.

Thanks in Advanced.

Hi linq, I have your same burner: samsung TS-H552B and I had your same problem. I have nero, but I used Windows Media Player to burn a CD audio. Now the burner doesn't recognize cd-r/rw but only some original Cds, while it works with Dvd, Dvd-r/rw.
    Someone told me to try to set the power of the optical light. But I don't Know if this is a good idea. If you have found a solution, could you tell me about it? Thank you. Bye bye AleK83

I'm having the same problem listed above but there is a twist. I have another DVD read drive that stopped reading cdr media the exact same time as the TSSTcorp one. This leads me to think it may be a windows error rather than the TSST drive itself.

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B

I had a very similar problem. Had to install a new hard-drive on a friends computer. Got all the necessary drivers but the cd-roms where not even being recognized as drives on the computer so I emailed emachine through there website and got a response that worked for me. Here it is:

Thank you for your email. I have read your concern that your computer
    CD/DVD ROM drives are not functioning.

I recommend you to reinstall the driver through the Device Manager and
    edit some registry entry.

Here are the steps to do.

To reload the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-R/W Drivers:

1. Please Right Click on the My Computer icons and choose Properties.
    2. Click on the Tab marked Hardware
    3. Click on the Device Manager Button
    4. Click on the + next to CD/DVD DRIVES
    5. The + sign will become a - sign and you may have a list of multiple
    drivers that drop down below. If so, each driver will need to be removed
    one at a time. To remove a driver simply point the mouse to the driver,
    right click the mouse one time, and choose 'Uninstall.'
    6. Continue to remove these drivers until there is no longer a heading
    for CD/DVD DRIVES.
    8. Click on the X in the upper-right hand corner of the DEVICE MANAGER
    window.

After doing the above steps, then proceed with these next steps on
    Registry.

- Click on START.
    - Click on "Run".
    - Type in "regedit" without the quotes.
    - Click on OK.
    NOTE: This will begin the Registry Editor that we can utilized to
    perform this delicate procedure.

Using the Registry Editor:
    - Click on the plus [+] sign to the left of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
    - Continue clicking the plus [+] sign to the left of the following
    folders in this order:
    SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class

NOTE: The next folder we are going to actually highlight instead of
    clicking on the plus. You will notice that these folders are not named,
    but instead contain a series of letters and numbers. The one we are
    looking for is called "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}". When you
    find it, single-click on the folder to highlight it and then proceed
    with the instructions below.

- Look on right-hand side of the window for an icon called
    "Upperfilters" and/or "Lowerfilters".
    - Right-click on it and select "Delete" from the popup menu.
    - Repeat the same procedure until both "Upperfilters" and
    "Lowerfilters"
    have been removed.
    - Exit any/all open programs.
    - Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Those are the steps. I hope this information will help you fix the
    issue.

I have documented this correspondence in Case Number 206128978
    in our contact tracking database. Please use this number in the future
    if you need to contact us again regarding this issue.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this
    issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
    ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
    colleagues.

Sincerely,

Jack

My affected devices where: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B and HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem...I tried what bistro offered but i do not ahve any Upperfilters" and/or "Lowerfilters". so therefore i did nothing....so it still doesnt work except for dvds. an yother solution it s been months I try on and off thanks

Welcome to Windrivers nbabe

If DVDs work, then it is not a filter problem. It is quite likely a hardware fault. These drives have two lasers, one for DVDs and one for CDs. It sounds like the CD portion of the drive is no longer functioning.

You can test this by getting a bootable CD and seeing if it will start the machine (change bios to boot from CD first though). If it won't boot from the CD with the bios correctly set, the CD part of the drive died.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok ill try that...so i guess it might be that the cd portion broke. Very well, cause I did already update teh firmware and that also changed nothing. and I also tried removing the hardwre and letting windows resetting it up after a restart and it still didnt work...I thought it was somehting that needed to be done since it occured after we reinstalled xp.

Thansk ill try taht...although I got a feeling it wont work..a hwell.

didnt know that so i guess that might be the problem..although I was hoping since with what BISTRO wrote that maybe a code or a new firmware or somethin' might fix it...

Did you reinstall XP from a CD?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No thats what I double checked last night...its a bootable dvd from gateway. so I guess u might be right.

Get a bootable CD then....and test it

I had s Samung burner that doesn't read CD's. I tried to use it to install Windows (original disks) on a brand new system and would not work. Finally, I had to get rid of it.

It seems to be a hardware problem with no fix.