MSI Build for wife - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MSI Build for wife

Tracker if you are going with OMG's Gigabyte recommendation the specs are here Always look up your intended motherboard on the manufacturers website. You can get the manual and look at the faqs before choosing to buy. If you look at the "memory support list" on the right you will see that the kingston has been verified for 512mb and 1gb sticks but not for 2gb.

This does not mean that the board won't support it. It means they just haven't tested it and if they have tested one size in that type, it is pretty likely that the bigger size will be just fine.

Note that if you want 1066 RAM in this, you can only have 2 sticks (1 per channel) maximum. But the RAM you have chosen will do just fine.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo I went to the links. I have spent a great amount of time looking for the components for this PC. If it has any issues it will upset my wife and I will be in trouble! I thank everyone for helping me chose the components...Don

I don't think you will have issues with the gigabyte board. I like them too. Do you have any specific compatibility questions? What os are you going to put on it and have you checked that there are drivers for the peripherals that you plan to connect?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I plan on using Vista 64 bit to utilize the 4Gb of memory and I haven’t been able to check on all the drivers yet...Don.

This is the memory I probably go with! G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Good choice?

Smile

NooNoo she has a HP C4385 printer and thy have 64 bit drivers for it.....Don

Crucial... always a very very good choice. No quibble money back if it doesn't work.

folks I see a lot of issues with this board in the Newegg reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128335. Another thing Anandteck says the is an issue with the 125 watt cpu with this bord w/ revision one. I am allmost certin I will not go with crossfire.Having a hard time making a desison. One thing for sure since this is my wifes' PC I don't wat to be tinkering with it!….Don
    Last edited by tracker34; October 29th, 2008 at 07:14 AM.

Which issues that you read worry you particularly tracker34?

NooNoo I am worried about not booting and restarts and what revision of the motherboard I will be getting. Also Gigabyte's

web site is very slow and its downloads are very slow. I don’t think it’s my ISP.

So phone sales and find out if you can order the correct revision. If not, try and get it elsewhere? Alternatively look at other Gigabyte boards. new eggs offering of the same price range here

NooNoo I called two vendors neither one could tell me or guarantee me which revision they we shipping. Going to keep trying. After all this is for my wife!

Indeed, don't want to get this one wrong.

Thumbs up ordered parts

Well I bit the bullet and ordered all the parts for the PC. I am going to think positive and go with the Gigabyte board and the Crucial Ballistic (sp)? Memory. I have spent a lot of time researching this build. I want to thank everyone who helped me choose the parts and posted to this post...Don

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!