Intel 845GRG audio issue (search didn't help)

Thread: Intel 845GRG audio issue (search didn't help)

Intel 845GRG audio issue (search didn't help)

First off I am new to this board so hello everyone.

Now here is my problem.

1) I was given an older Gateway desktop with an Intel 845GRG motherboard. It has a Pent. 4 2.4 GHz proc. with only 256 MB of RAM. It has onboard video, audio, and LAN.

2) So anyway XP was crashed when I got it. I was able to get a fresh copy of XP with SP2.

3) I loaded all the drivers beginning with the INF driver first. When I loaded the audio driver (which I received directly from Intel's website), the install program ran fine until the end when a warning popped up that said "Driver not found please reboot system and run this setup program."

4) I did that several times to no avail. I assumed the onboard sound was bad so I went to a local computer store and purchased a basic 5.1 surround sound card (non-HD).

5) The drivers seemed to load OK, but windows would not recognize the audio device. Thinking that there may be some conflict with the PCI modem installed, I took it out and deleted all files/drivers associated with the modem.

6) Re-installed PCI sound card and drivers- same results.

7)I returned the sound card and for the last 2 days I have been digging on the net trying to find a solution. This forum had a similar thread back in 04 (here is a link http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=55161 ) and things just got really confusing with all the different suggestions.

So here I am just hoping that someone knows what the heck is going on. The guy at the computer store here says, and this is a quote now, "Man sound is just really funny right now on Windows machines."

Yeah that doesn't help much does it. So hopefully someone here will be able to help out a little better.

Thanks
    Hank

Welcome to Windrivers JamesCrumbley1

Gateway quite likely had those boards made for them, so there is a possibility that you got the wrong driver. What Gateway model is it?

I just want to confirm that this is the sound driver you downloaded.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yes that is the sound driver that i downloaded

the computer is a gateway esx500

put your serial number in here and download the gateway chipset drivers and the sound driver. Install the chipset driver first, reboot then the sound driver.

Then post what you have listed under device manager - sound.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i can't download the drivers from gateway, it seems that they have sold the rights to my system to a 3rd party

this other company "MPC Computers" claims that they do not have any information on my system, so this is a dead end as well

this is really getting old and frustrating

any other ideas???

What is the model number of your gateway?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

i can't download the drivers from gateway, it seems that they have sold the rights to my system to a 3rd party

this other company "MPC Computers" claims that they do not have any information on my system, so this is a dead end as well

this is really getting old and frustrating

any other ideas???

You could answer the question about the model number..maybe one of us has the documentation for that model.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

A little checking and it appears it's just a 500 series gateway try using their scan for drivers

Does your pc look like this?