Is It Possible I've Messed up My Career?

Thread: Is It Possible I've Messed up My Career?

Is It Possible I've Messed up My Career?

Hi Everyone,

Last October (2007) I left my job with a small town mom n' pop computer shop after almost 8 years to take a position in a small IT department with a mid-sized healthcare company. I was hired by a really nice IT director, that promised schooling, support, training, and a great work environment. After I took the position, the IT director moved out-of-state. His position was no longer there. We had to report directly to the CFO of the company. We were no longer able to get training, education allowance, and it was extremely hard to have replacement PC's / parts authorized.

After a majority of the IT staff left, I had to leave - I could not take it anymore. I left there in MArch of 2008. I needed to work since I had actually moved to be closer to the job, so I took a job on a 3 month probationary basis to get organized for a another job search. This job had me driving to different client locations 99 % of the time. I did not like "living" out of my car, rushing through the city to get to the next place. This was my first "on-site" job in my 32 years of life. After about 2 months, I had it with the constant driving around.

I uses a head-hunter company to find a new job. In May of 2008, I took a postion with a company with about 60 offices. I was told that travel would be up to 10% of the time - Max. I took the just, and as soon as I started the position changed to where I had to cover a large region of about 40 offices. I found myself driving 300+ miles to locations to do simple PC repairs to complex network issues. I've also found that myself in a small IT dept that will not let me fit it. So for the passed 7 months I've felt like the outsider.

I just accepted a position that will have me joining a small IT department that covers the US operations. This company uses 99% Citrix on dummy terminals. This is almost a completely centralized IT department. There is almost not need for travel, it will give me experience with Lotus, Citrix, several high-end Cisco switches and routers.

Do you think I've really messed up my resume? I DO NOT enjoy "job-hopping", but it has taken me some time to get somewhere that I feel comfortable.
    "The labor's free, it's your attitude that costs $120.00 an hour."

BS:IT, CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:EA, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Project+, CIW

If nothing else, you have learned alot! If you just got a new job, I think that means you explained your job hopping really well at interview.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You can skip the exact month you got hired and even a job that you don't want to list...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

You want to avoid big gaps in your resume, but a brief job or two that you don't want to include isn't a big deal. You're allowed to spend time looking for a job, just don't over do the breaks.

You sound like me. I'm stuck in a job of living out of my car and it's a waste of time and money with the areas I have to go to. I've resorted to just saving up and starting my own company and subcontracting to where I work. At least if I run my own business it will be how it's supposed to be run. I doubt you have to deal with the incompetence that I have to seeing how the guy I work for doesn't even use scheduling (he just says sure someone will be there after noon on this day) and the fact that he has absolutely NO IT training where he just goes there and says yep windows needs reinstalled.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.