resetting cpu frequency - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: resetting cpu frequency

Quote Originally Posted by hezyone View Post
    I removed two 512mb sticks.
    They are ProMos Technologies ddr2-667mhz, part# PC2-5300U-555-12-D0.
    I replaced with four 1gb sticks.
    They are PNY ddr2, part#PC2-5300 667mhz Optima Dual Channel
    hezyone is using all PC2-5300

hezy, with the 3G configurations, you're not accidentally transposing banks with channels are you?

With most motherboard layouts, you'd go 1G - 512M - 1G - 512M (or 512 - 1 - 512 - 1)

You're not fitting 1G - 1G - 512M - 512M are you?

hezyone, the memory slots are color coded, are they not? Blue & yellow or something?

Are you calling the slots of the same color a "bank" when you explain where the DIMMs are?

The same colored slots define each channel. When you said:

"Put the two 1gs in the first bank, the two 512ms in the second bank. Computer does not start."

if you put the 1Gs in the blue slots & the 512Ms in the yellow, you've got 2G in one channel and 1G in the other. Try it as I noted, 1G - 512M - 1G - 512M.
    Last edited by Platypus; January 4th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

When I say a bank, I mean two slots of the same color. If I put the 1gs in the blue slots & the 512ms in the yellow slots computer does not start. All of the 1gs are the same make size & speed.

This has been a MOST interesting thread.

I have read and researched and have these tidings to offer;

1 - Above, someone said to try booting with one stick at a time to make SURE all 4x1 GB sticks would allow boot. Did you?

If not do so.

2 - Many, many of the posts I found said that mobo had ram problems - some topped at 3 GB, some had Bios errors that reported the wrong ram type, etc.

3 - 2 GB isn't a BAD thing if you can operate at it and get Dual Channel (a can of worms has just opened)

That's my opinion here.

Quote Originally Posted by hezyone View Post
    When I say a bank, I mean two slots of the same color. If I put the 1gs in the blue slots & the 512ms in the yellow slots computer does not start. All of the 1gs are the same make size & speed.
    That's what I thought. Try 1G - 512M in the blue slots and 1G - 512M in the yellow slots.

That way you should have 1.5GB in the same sequence in each channel, which is what you want for dual-channel operation.

The two blue slots are one channel, the yellow the other channel.

If you have only two DIMMS in the same color slots, you will run single channel = slower.

Heyzone, I am with Platypus... we have seen this a number of times before.

Blue channel
    Yellow channel
    1gig in each channel, start the machine.

Make sure they are in the same relative position, so looking at the pic below and working from the top of the picture

Put 1 gig in the top yellow slot and 1 gig in the top blue slot
    Boot the machine - this should be fine.
    Then put 512mb in the bottom yellow slot and the 512mb in the bottom blue slot.
    Boot the machine.... it also should be fine... if it isn't, but the 512mbs in the top yellow and top blue, with the 1gigs in the bottom yellow and bottom blue.
    If your machine is stable the second way round leave it. If it is not stable adding the 512mbs, then remove them and work with the 1gig sticks only.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I put 1g-512ms-1g-512ms. Computer will start but I am only running single channel. I put two 1g in the yellow slots, now I am running dual channel. I downloaded the flash bios that OMGmissinglink showed the link for. Now how do I upgrade the BIOS?

You shouldn't upgrade the bios unless the bios upgrade has a fix for a problem you actually have. Upgrading bios is very simple, except when it goes wrong - then you end up with a nice computer shaped doorstop. Exactly what does this bios update do for you?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hmmm, eMachines may do their color coding opposite to normal. Unfortunately the manuals I find from them online don't explain such details.

The usual arrangement is like shown here, but a quick search among boards from Foxconn (who make the eMachines board) does show inconsistent meanings to their slot colors. Confusing.

Did you mean Acer, Platypus?... or is the Acer and Emachine using the same board... not looked myself, just don't want things to get more confused!

Foxconn made a whack of the EM61PM chipset boards for others - some had 2 ram slots, some 4 - some supported 533, some 800.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Did you mean Acer, Platypus?... or is the Acer and Emachine using the same board... not looked myself, just don't want things to get more confused!
    Acer bought gateway in August of last year..and Gateway bought emachines in 2004
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

In post 57 my point, since obviously it wasn't clear, was that Foxconn made variants of a motherboard based on that chipset and sold them far and wide.

I read over a hundred threads the last few days with hundreds of comments.

Doing Bios upgrades isn't one of the things recommended - most times people got dual cores on those boards using existing Bios. In fact, even the site OMG.... mentioned last has the same Bios version as in post 1 I believe.

That is all!

Perhaps, for you, I wasn't clear enough. The nVidia6100 chipset variants Foxconn made include mobo's with ONLY 2 ram slots - which see;

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/produc...A+GeForce+6100