Crediting or Acknowledging the author of an article on the web.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crediting or Acknowledging the author of an article on the web.

Crediting or Acknowledging the author of an article on the web.

Edited by NooNoo: Unfortunately showing in date order means that the explanation for this thread appears as the last post.... So I have to post the explanation here.

I have created this thread to take the off topic discussion from this thread

It started when a member posted information from another website by the cut and paste method, but did not credit the original author or link to the site where the original may be found. I edited the post on 4th November 2008 and put the link in to the original work... the rest you can read for yourselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG if you are going to present someone elses work as your own, please change it into your own words. If you want to post someone elses work, please credit the author.

And for the record OMG, Vista can't be installed on FAT, but can both read and write to it.

Vista does support usb/flash drives which are formatted with FAT from the manufacturer.
    Last edited by NooNoo; December 10th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OMG since you refuse to acknowledge other people's work, I am issuing a one month ban for plagiarism.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    OMG since you refuse to acknowledge other people's work, I am issuing a one month ban for plagiarism.
    NooNoo

Are you alway a complete snert towards posters.

Crumbs, or should I say omgmissinglink that account will be removed. Carry on and your ip will be banned.

Umm... wow! I didn't even realize all the comotion over this post... Sorry about that NooNoo
    If con is the opposite of pro, what's the oppisite of progress?

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python

not at all peshek77... but I hope you are not confused by the answers.

I am
    hehehe
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    NooNoo plagiarism involves posting copyrighted material. reposting a fix or answer off another forum is not copyrighted material !!
    I suggest you go see that lawyer of yours and ask him/her to explain it to you.

Why so much hate? Let's just get along. I mean if it's really that much of an issue I'm sure it won't take all too long to copy and paste a link and say this guy wrote it. A lot less time than it takes to get a lawsuite ready if anything.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

SIGH It was such a quiet month
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    I'm sure it won't take all too long to copy and paste a link and say this guy wrote it.
    Exactly, Niclo. It's very simple to correctly attribute sources, it's the right thing to do and there's no reason not to do it.

To try to set the record straight in case anyone reading this topic is tempted to believe original content displayed on a website is not copyright and may be used unacknowledged, please be clear in your mind that all original material of merit set down in permanent form (ie that can be read & therefore copied) is the intellectual property of its creator and has copyright protection.

For example, the subject is addressed succinctly here:

http://www.websitepublisher.net/arti...ual_property/3

Two factors of note include:

"webpages have copyright protection"

and the common mixup of available public access with Public Domain:

"whether materials are in public has no relationship to whether they fall into the Public Domain. This mistaken notion has somehow led many to believe that everything on the Internet is in public and therefore in the Public Domain and thus freely usable without permission. This is completely false."

There may also be further restrictions on your use of material found on a website, put in place by the terms of use of the website the material is drawn from.

Posts, opinions, suggestions posted on any web based forum posts by users/moderators are not copyrighted materials.

Such as posting how to install a driver is not a copyrighted material.
    Incorrect. Unless the author explicitly says the material is released to the public domain, it is not.

Platypus it is not alwaysyou can direct hyperlink origin of any drivers, faqs, suport. etc.

try posting for us a direct link for a fujitsu lappy E6570 drivers.
    This is not relevant, direct link or not. What you were asked to do is credit the author of the work you copied. Is that really so hard to do? I found in it in a few seconds and put the credit in for you. Just remember to credit the author of stuff you cut and paste next time please.

Correct. Everything you post on this forum is copyright too...but by posting on the forum, you have agreed to give your copyright to JupiterMedia. Therefore anybody cutting and pasting your posts has to credit JupiterMedia, but in reality most people would acknowledge the author and the copyright holders by providing a URL to the original work.

If you create something, whether it be music, words, painting or even a funny walk, unless you hand over the copyright or explicity put it in the public domain, you own the copyright.

So if someone writes an article about how to install a driver, the copyright might belong to the site or to the person who wrote it depending on what the arrangements are.

Then NooNoo every driver support etc. you will be posting you will be crediting Asus, Nivida, ATI, etc. ???
    If you check my posts, I link to the correct driver. The link shows where I got my information from.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar