Crediting or Acknowledging the author of an article on the web. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crediting or Acknowledging the author of an article on the web.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Ok. Try and follow my thoughts. This is not your sandbox. It belongs to Jupiter Media. They have people that have the keys to the place. One of those, is NooNoo. One of her jobs is to make sure everyone plays nice, and follows the rules.

This forum makes money by getting advertisers to spend money. The more people that visit here, the more hits the advertisers get, the more money they make. If people come here, and get good advice, with no bickering, thread hijacking, etc, the more likely they will return, and recommend this site.

Openly arguing, and causing problems in a tech thread, which not only the person that we're trying to help, but future people who use Google for the same problem, will be able to read. That lack of professionalism will kill any forum.

From the AUP:
    "We reserve the right to delete any message and/or restrict posting rights in our Forums for any reason whatsoever. Should you continue to post messages that violate the rules of the Forums, your account may be terminated, your access to the Forums may be banned, and your service provider(s) may be contacted about your behavior. Furthermore, we expressly reserve our rights under the law to take any other actions we deem necessary. " You give up some things to join this forum.

As the saying goes, "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

You are a knowledgable tech. A lot of people here are. Sometimes, there is more than one right answer. Keep it professional.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    30 seconds to find the link. I have mad google-fu skills. That's not really the point. See the previous post.

As a public service, I will let you in on a secret. The ip address of every poster is logged. Changing the account you log in under, does not change the originating ip address.
    If I were to post on how to get around that, it would be a violation of the AUP, and I could be banned.

OMGmissinglink, I would be surprised if it took as long as 30 seconds to find that link.

OMGmissinglink, do you now accept that you must credit the author when you directly copy and paste someone else's work?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Likely not
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Can we then hope you will spend all of your time over at TSF?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    Can we then hope you will spend all of your time over at TSF?
    That's probably unlikely. TSF members are not allowed to do things like be rude and abusive, apply crude insults to a Moderator, or post copyrighted material.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/faq....item_behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    Unfortunatly TSF forum appreciate tech help, their moderators are not disgusting as they are here on windrivers.
    I would consider the appreciation of tech help a fortunate thing, not unfortunate. When you do give help here, it is appreciated. All the occasions where you have behaved badly are not appreciated.

If you find the moderators here so disgusting, why do you come here and make trouble?

I'm guessing there is some feeling of achievement granted when the negative attention builds up? I just started to ignore most of it really. Only commenting on the behalf of those confused with the intent. Now i"m off to ignore this thread. Carry on.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    That's probably unlikely. TSF members are not allowed to do things like be rude and abusive, apply crude insults to a Moderator, or post copyrighted material.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/faq....item_behaviour
    Or not answer guests request and immediately begin badgering them into buying a new motherboard.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

This kind of nonsinse is why most tech's have left windriver forums and went over to TSF forums

Thats why is quite in this forum Ferrit, TSF forums generate over 3000 post per day ... windrivers on the other hand can't generate 25 ligit post per day.
    In a pig's eye. The traffic numbers aren't correct for starters, and let's not forget the 80/20 rule. i.e. 80% of everything is brown and sticky. So more questions and more responses don't really equate to a more intelligent and experienced community or a better level of support.

To me, it just seems like crediting the source is just common courtesy. Even beyond all the legalities and technicalities. To not credit the source is just plain rude and disrespectful to the person who worked and trained hard to gain the knowledge to write the piece in the first place. OMGMissingLink,.. How would you like it if someone copied/pasted documentation that you worked hard on to write all over the Internets? It just seems to me like you are trying to take credit for someone elses work.
    Hello World

Crediting or Acknowledging the author of an article on the web.

I have created this thread to take the off topic discussion from this thread

It started when a member posted information from another website by the cut and paste method, but did not credit the original author or link to the site where the original may be found. I edited the post on 4th November 2008 and put the link in to the original work... the rest you can read for yourselves.
    Last edited by NooNoo; December 10th, 2008 at 03:57 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I believe the post was properly posted ! on the other hand I still don't find on the link you edited where that info was posted!!!
    I edited your post, and put in the link... it is near the top.

Answer Vista does not support the fat file for those drives.

Edited by NooNoo to credit the author of the following cut and paste

The following is copied from here

Notes and Warnings:
    You will note that the "from here" in the original post is underlined - if you click the underlined from here words, it is the link that takes you to the original work.

Wow, i love a good controversy in the morning. The only comment i have for this thread is this:

If you don`t like the way it`s run, no one is forcing you to post here.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

The other thread should mostly be here as well
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3