Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Thread: Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Question Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Hello I have an older computer that I am trying to turn into a half decent browseing/e-mail computer. I'm currently waiting on my wireless NIC to come in the mail.

My problem is the CD-Rom drive does not detect when there is a CD in it. The first day I had it I installed some software from some discs I had and even played one of my older PC games on it. Shut it down and the next day when I powered it back on the CD-Rom drive wouldn't detect anything. It powers on and when I open it and insert a disc Windows XP flashes the CD icon next to the cursor. But it doesn't auto-play it and when I open "My Computer" and click on the drive it says, "Please insert a disc into drive(:X)".

The floppy drive does the same thing, but it has done that since I've got it. There is no actual "namebrand" of the PC because it is a custom built one.

According to Everest Ultimate Edition the motherboard's name is "SuperPower P2BXA" and the chipset is "Intel 82440BX/ZX". The BIOS are "Award Modular (01/20/99). The IDE controller is "Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller". The CD-Rom drive I am using is a Lite-On LTN-382.

In the Device Manager it detects the CD-Rom drive and the Floppy drive, but neither know when there is a disc inserted.

I was going to wait until I got the computer online before messing with drivers, but I need to get the wireless NIC card working and won't be able to install drivers from a CD without a CD drive. I am guessing it is a problem with the IDE controller. Of coarse the HDD works fine and is connected via IDE.

Like I said this is an old computer... Pentium 2 350 Mhz, 128 MB of PC-100 RAM, 8 GB ATA-33 HDD, and an ATI Rage 2 8 MB graphics card. Running Windows XP Pro. Wasn't my idea to put XP Pro on it.

Welcome to Windrivers Powerman

Here is the motherboard It can take 768mb RAM so I suggest you upgrade the memory and XP will behave better!

The IDE drivers XP already has, so I doubt that is the problem. It could be a bad cable, dirty lense or an error... in device manager does it give an error code?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yeah I already have RAM on the way. It really doesn't handle XP to bad. According to the Device Manager everything is is "working properly". The CD-ROM drive installed an old game (Creatures 1) without a problem and I played it from the CD-ROM.

The next day I went to install Everest Ultimate Edition from a CD and it said "No disc in drive". So I thought maybe the CD was messed up I put in the Creatures 1 game disc and it did the same thing. Same with every other disc I've put it. Music CDs, Game CDs, homemade discs, etc.

As for the cable I removed the cable and tested it and it was okay. Then, I used the hard drive cable and connected both the CD-Rom drive and HDD and it does the same thing. I have a Laser Lens cleaner but I don't know if I can use it if it never reads the disc.

I got the computer from my girlfriend's grandma. She had a lot of problems with this computer and I was always going on and fixing it. so she just saved up and I bought her a nice new computer and she let me have this one. Like I said, it really isn't anything special, but I'd like to get it set up as a decent internet/browseing website.

I am writing from the computer now. I got the wireless NIC in the mail and had to transfer the driver CD to my flash memory stick. Installed great. Now i might be able to work on this CD-Rom drive problem a little better. Let me know if you guys need anything or have any other ideas.

I hope you didn't type all that out, cause I know how to (re)install Windows. I did type a long section that has yet to appear on the forum. It said, "May not appear immediatley." Typed it before I typed my last message and it still hasn't shown, not sure why.

Basically what I said was that I just got done installing one of my old games "Creatures 1" and played it. Shut off the computer and went to bed woke up the next day to install a program from a disc and it is telling me there is no disc in the drive. I even put the "Creatures" disc back in and it says the same thing. It has always worked before this is the first time it hasn't. So I know it isn't the XP install XP.

Powerman, given the age of the computer, it is quite likely the CD just decided to die.... it happens just as you described. The good news is you can get a new one at NewEgg for as low as $13.99 USD - or you can get a DVD burner - yes it will work as long as you get an IDE one... (and don't have anything else running when burning. When it's playing all bets are off on a movie)..... don't push it with bluray though!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    Powerman,

You've also mentioned the floppy drive does not work either / does the floppy drive work now.

Have you done windows updates!
    The floppy drive has never worked. the activity light stays on soild, even when I put a disk in it. It gives me the same "No disk in drive" as the CD-Rom drive. Device Manager says everything is "working properly".

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Powerman, given the age of the computer, it is quite likely the CD just decided to die.... it happens just as you described. The good news is you can get a new one at NewEgg for as low as $13.99 USD - or you can get a DVD burner - yes it will work as long as you get an IDE one... (and don't have anything else running when burning. When it's playing all bets are off on a movie)..... don't push it with bluray though!!
    Yeah NewEgg and TigerDirect are the best thing that has happened since sliced bread. :P I'm just trying to figure out how much I want to invest in this thing already have put $77.96 into it. Of coarse I can always use the Wireless NIc I bought in any computer I own with a PCI slot, but the RAM and such won't be easy to get rid of if I decide to scrap this hunk.

Honestly, as long as I can get a CD-Rom drive that can read CDs, maybe burn CDs, I am okay. Had a dual layer DVD burner in my laptop and bought DVDs but never burnt a DVD once. :S

I'll look into the drive though. I'm thinking it is either the drive is crap or the IDE controller is having problems, but the hard drive works fine. Maybe I can put the drive in another PC. Contacted Lite-On about drivers and they said they don't have any so I might just have to look elsewhere. Oh and like I said according to the Device Manager everything includeing the IDE controller, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, and floppy drive controller are "working properly"

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    Then the ribbon on your floppy drive is flipped around if the led stays on

::::::::::::::::

<--pin1

pin 1 ------>
    Okay, I will look at it. Honestly I don't really need it, in fact I've never worked on one or I may have known to check that out. As for the CD drive I have concluded that it is bad. Even went into the chat room and asked them a bit about it and pretty much determined it was bad. Thanks for the help you guys have given, but like the guys said in chat this isn't Lindrivers it is Windrivers. I'm switching this to Linux on this thing because I enjoy working with it and I can get a hold of a version that runs well on this machine. Just because it isn't a P4 doesn't mean it needs trashed, as someone tried to say in chat.

Thanks again,

Old school thinking Powerman... I like it... I have a number of older machines kept because they work... Kings Quest is still fun to play today