Hello I have an older computer that I am trying to turn into a half decent browseing/e-mail computer. I'm currently waiting on my wireless NIC to come in the mail.

My problem is the CD-Rom drive does not detect when there is a CD in it. The first day I had it I installed some software from some discs I had and even played one of my older PC games on it. Shut it down and the next day when I powered it back on the CD-Rom drive wouldn't detect anything. It powers on and when I open it and insert a disc Windows XP flashes the CD icon next to the cursor. But it doesn't auto-play it and when I open "My Computer" and click on the drive it says, "Please insert a disc into drive(:X)".

The floppy drive does the same thing, but it has done that since I've got it. There is no actual "namebrand" of the PC because it is a custom built one.

According to Everest Ultimate Edition the motherboard's name is "SuperPower P2BXA" and the chipset is "Intel 82440BX/ZX". The BIOS are "Award Modular (01/20/99). The IDE controller is "Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller". The CD-Rom drive I am using is a Lite-On LTN-382.

In the Device Manager it detects the CD-Rom drive and the Floppy drive, but neither know when there is a disc inserted.

I was going to wait until I got the computer online before messing with drivers, but I need to get the wireless NIC card working and won't be able to install drivers from a CD without a CD drive. I am guessing it is a problem with the IDE controller. Of coarse the HDD works fine and is connected via IDE.

Like I said this is an old computer... Pentium 2 350 Mhz, 128 MB of PC-100 RAM, 8 GB ATA-33 HDD, and an ATI Rage 2 8 MB graphics card. Running Windows XP Pro. Wasn't my idea to put XP Pro on it.