nvidia drivers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: nvidia drivers

nvidia drivers

Hi all,

I've been having problems with the nvidia drivers on my dell inspiron e1705 laptop.

windows xp sp3
    80 gig hd
    nvidia geforce go 7800
    2 gig ram

i get a bsod on startup with this message:

problem with nv4_mini.sys
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

now i've tried starting up in safe mode and that works, but then i can't install the drivers i download!

i get this message:

" the nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware"

you guys have any suggestions? I've been trying to fix this for hours now and it's driving me crazy!!

Sounds like you may have a video card that doesn't report itself properly to the installer software. If you're a little tech minded this trick can help you work around it. You need to decompile the installer (IE unzip it) a tool that will help you do that is 7zip unzip the files to a folder you can find easily like c:\video drivers then go to control panel, system, click the hardware tab, then click the device manager button. In here find your video card which is under display adaptors. Right click the video card and go to properties. Click the Driver tab and select update driver. Click choose a specific file and go to your directory you unzipped the drivers to. With a bit of luck you'll have it auto detect the driver in the folder and you'll get an updated install of the driver which should work.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Are you downloading the DELL drivers, or ones directly from nVidia? If from nVidia, you will get this message because embedded laptop graphics drivers have to be supplied by the laptop manufacturer and the nVidia ones just won't work.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Reference drivers don`t work on laptops as the hardware references are removed by nVidia because laptops often have specific requirements that may cause minor problem to crop up when using default drivers.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

They modify the reference drivers to work on most laptops.

It`s just a matter of putting in the hardware references to let the drivers work. Download the reference drivers, download the modified INF from the site, then replace the INF into the reference drivers and your done. Dell does not update video drivers very often and as such, bugs take a long time to work out. This may work out for you
    Last edited by Matridom; December 5th, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

alright guys

so i managed to install new drivers, using the laptops2go.com stuff. That was great.

But i'm still having the original problem--- on normal bootup i get to the windows loading page, and then the bsod with the error

nv4_mini.sys
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

That would be because you have the wrong version of drivers or you didn't completely uninstall the old drivers before installing the new.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    That would be because you have the wrong version of drivers or you didn't completely uninstall the old drivers before installing the new.
    ok i'll try to make sure i'm installing the right ones. But about uninstalling them--i use driversweeper, and there are two nvidia options that come up: the video drivers and the chipset drivers. I've only been uninstalling the video ones. Should i uninstall the chipset drivers as well?

Thanks for all the help!

That might be a good idea, go to the laptop manufacturer website, download the chipset drivers and the laptop nvidia drivers and then install the chipset drivers first, reboot then install the video drivers.

This may be a long shot. Boot from your resource CD and go into the 32 bit diagnostics, one of the test will test the video ram for any faults. Run that, it could be bad ram on the video.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    If I recall correct the mb drivers are intel not Nvidia, Id suggest if you have data you want saved, save it on external drive or other source you can access, then format and reinstall your OS, MB drivers, graphic drivers. if you reinstall with the lappys recovery disk or partition check the graphic driver versions, if the manufactures webpage has posted a newer graphic driver download that on your desktop, inzip the driver file go into device manager uninstall old graphic driver reboot when the lappy boots and says found new device look for drivers click on cancel until the lappy boots to the desktop then install the newer version graphic driver.
    OMG, I think it would be best to rule out hardware before taking the steps to re-install windows. I`ve encountered this error litteraly hundreds of times. Sometimes it`s the drivers, but not always. OS re-installation should always be the last step, NOT the first second or third.

Oh, on a side note OMG, the reference drivers DO NOT work on Dell laptops without a modified INF files. Since the updated drivers don`t work, i would highly suspect bad video memory as the ultimate cause.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink View Post
    Being the poster posted they installed drivers im more suspect driver corruption than a componet issue... but this is MHO. And BTW Nvidia does make drivers that work with lappys without supporting other lappy functions if the lappys user uses them or not, all though I did post the drivers should come from the manufactures website.
    First of all, dynamo152 mentions in the first post that s/he cannot get the reference drivers to work. After my post on how to sidestep that issue guess what? the drivers get installed.

OMG, I spent 2 years working at Dell, supporting Dell laptops of all shapes and sizes as a technical supervisor, I think I know a thing or two about what drivers will or won't work with the laptop in question. Additionally having come across this error hundreds of times, I can take a fairly good guess as to the cause of the error and what steps would lead to a quick resolution.

Spend 15 minutes testing the hardware, if it comes back clean, you can still re-install windows, but atleast then, you have a higher chance of clearing the error. However, if the hardware was faulty to begin with, then no amount of re-installing windows will clear the error.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Hey guys thanks for all the help

NooNoo was right, the problem was that i didn't have the right drivers.

As a side note though, you cannot download the drivers straight from nvidia for laptops. They mod them so that the laptop manufacturer has to tailor them specifically to the laptop. I don't know the entire rationale for this, but one of the reasons was what to do when the lid is closed. My guess is the fact that there's not a standard laptop setup hardware and config wise.

This is one reason that modding laptops is difficult, as whatever configuration you use has to be somewhat supported by the laptop manufacturer. If it's not, then i would suggest going over to laptops2go.com and looking around there for drivers.

Finally, to wrap this up, i actually found the driver for the 7800 go on the dell website.

Thanks again guys!

Glad it's fixed dynamo... do you know about the service tag? It's on the bottom of your dell - plug that into the dell support area and it will show you all the drivers and other stuff for your laptop.... saves hunting!