problem writing mini-DVD using Dell B130

Thread: problem writing mini-DVD using Dell B130

problem writing mini-DVD using Dell B130

I have a Dell B130, running Win XP SP3, factory equipped with TSSTCorp TS632D CD/DVD drive. When I put new mini-DVD in the drive, the software asks me what I want to do with my "blank CD".
    Is this a problem with the software, and thus can be fixed by new software? Or, is this a limitation of the drive trying to handle new/ unfamiliar media, and thus can be fixed with more modern hardware?
    Or, is this just a case of poor UI, and in fact the software / hardware will do the right thing? Just haven't had the courage to proceed until I understand the situation better.
    Many thanks

Welcome to Windrivers Milt

From the model number I am guessing this is a Dell laptop?
    Anyhow... XP does not have DVD burning software, so the first question is, what DVD burning software do you have?

The other thing to note is that these drives have two lasers, one for CD work and one for DVD work and often one laser will die and more often than not it will be the DVD laser that dies first.

In other words, you may need to replace the drive (or get an external dvd writer), but there is some stuff we can check to make sure first.

If you don't think you have any DVD burning software, go to www.deepburner.com and download the free version of their burning software.

Lastly, let's check the obvious, are you absolutely sure you are using a mini DVD blank?... there are mini CD blanks which look much the same.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I would like to withdraw this thread. (Is that possible?)
    The drive has clearly broken; it no longer recognizes DVDs, either to read or to write. Your comment that the DVD laser often goes bad before the CD laser prompted me to check, and bingo!
    The usual situation - it worked last time I wrote a DVD, so I didn't think to test it before I tried to write a mini-DVD.
    My apologies for taking you on a wild goose chase. Many thanks.
    Now to consider the advantages of internal vs external drives, and other such considerations.

No need to withdraw the thread Milt, it serves as a guide to others in your position and that's why we are here.

If you want any help with those decisions, post again
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."