Need help with Bios issue
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Bios issue

Need help with Bios issue

Hello, I am having a problem. I installed a new hard drive after the old one crashed. After installing Windows XP, my graphics were off. The colors were not right and the color quality was on the Lowest setting with no other settings to choose. The picture did not fit on the screen right, even though I tried adjusting the monitor. I thought it would help to get a Bios update. Unfortunately, I must have installed the wrong one, because now when the computer starts up it says the processor speed is to fast (over 2.60 GHZ) and shuts down in 10 seconds. The processor is Intel D845GVSR.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Hello mclehaney;

Which processor do you have and what Bios and version did you use and from what site page?

This is your cpu supported page. http://support.intel.com/support/mot...26968.htm#Note

Bios is here; http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filt...bmit=Go%21
    Last edited by CCT; March 20th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Welcome to Windrivers mclehaney

In the 10 seconds you have, you can try to go into bios and set bios to defaults which will solve the problem or you might have to reset the bios manually

The page for your motherboard is here

In the right hand box, click on configure jumpers and look at the instructions at the bottom for configuring the B block Bios Jumper - you want it in configuration mode so that you can change the bios back to default settings.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Processor says Intel FW82801DB L440NA19 SL6DM
    Bios update was downloaded from downloadcenter.intel.com
    version was VA84510A.86_archive
    I wrote down the Bios info before this problem occured from the Bios screen it said VA84510.86A.0030.P10
    D845GVSR VERSION AAC45439-302

Did you save the old bios on the floppy drive? If you did you can use the recovery position on the jumpers I told you about before.

Only ever download a bios from the manufacturer's site! The chances that it could be the wrong one go up a lot from somewhere else.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

use this to identify your processor those numbers aren't right.

That site gave you the P19 Bios from 2005 - the one I linked has the P20 from 2006.

Regardless, follow Noo Noo's suggestion to get defaults. Post back.

Yes, if you haven't got the recovery diskette (old bios) use CCT's link to P20 and flash with that ASSUMING you have got the motherboard model exactly right. Mistake one letter or number and you end up with the wrong bios. The wrong bios will turn your machine into a handy doorstop.

Thanks alot for all your replys. I am going to try all your suggestions.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the old Bios Diskette. I'll post back with what happens.

OK thanks.

I downloaded the bios update onto another computer and put it on a diskette. I removed the bios configuration jumper, and placed the diskette in the drive. When I turned the computer on it did not give me the message about the processor being to fast and shutting down in 10 seconds, the screen was blank. I could hear the computer running but nothing came up on the monitor. I have tried to get into the bios both when the jumper was in place and when it was removed, but I got no response. I think the computer may be a door stop. Do any of you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks for your info so far.

You followed the power off/unplug directions before moving the jumper?

Have you done that and tried the Recovery jumper setting coupled with the floppy (diskette) Bios?

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/sr/sr_confg.htm

Yes I did

Last thing to try is power off, pull the plug, press the power button, remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes (keep yourself static-discharged), replace it, reverse the other steps and boot.

Ifn it still isn't posting, then the Bios is likely gerfunkled.

That leaves new chip purchase as a route (not that expensive);

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/BIOS-CHIP-INT...QQcmdZViewItem

I am NOT saying to buy from them, that is simply a suggestion/example.

ok, I performed the above instuctions, but no luck. I have never installed a new chip before, what all will I have to do? Thank you for all your information.