Wow @ video playback

Thread: Wow @ video playback

Wow @ video playback

Just replace my 32" lcd with a 47".
    Complained few months before about movies quality, So decided to invest in a strong CPU.
    Installed E7300 cpu with 8400GS video card, and results are WOW !!!
    I don't know if the main reason for improvment is the hardware acceleration implemented in latest nvidia drivers (H264 and such), Or the strength of the cpu or both, But compare to E2200 cpu with same video card and older drivers I can see a hugh difference.
    Used Sempron 3400 + Ati X300 to play movies yesterday, And although movies played flawlessly, There is a great difference in playback quality.
    The movies I play are divx/Xvid encoded, And didn't tried yet H264 movies, Since my older component couldn't even play that at a normal rate....

Hardware decoders are always better than relying on the cpu... so if you have software decoding with the video card, the cpu is going to be very busy... it is always worth investing in a video card that does hardware decoding where possible... but as you have discovered, a bigger processor will help too!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I wonder if a stronger card 9600gt or ati 48XX will do a better job in decoding videos. I couldn't find video playback comparison on the net, Only quadzillion charts on 3d this and 3d that.....

Update : http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...t-t358020.html

This user was able to reduce cpu util. to 5% using the right driver/player combo...VERY interesting....

Update #2 :
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...-hd4550_7.html
    Last edited by HipHoper; January 12th, 2009 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper View Post
    I wonder if a stronger card 9600gt or ati 48XX will do a better job in decoding videos. I couldn't find video playback comparison on the net, Only quadzillion charts on 3d this and 3d that.....

Update : http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...t-t358020.html

This user was able to reduce cpu util. to 5% using the right driver/player combo...VERY interesting....

Update #2 :
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...-hd4550_7.html
    I have the 4850 on my "power" computer - always been an ATI fanboy.
    This card works like a charm - together with the 8400 CPU and the 8GB Ram and RAID0 this system is a joy...
    Once every 3 years I buy a computer that has no compromise (~6K NIS for the thing not including Screen). after 3 years I Either turn it to a secondary computer - or donate it to someone from the family with no strings attached.

I truly believe that paying this sum of money is no biggy (take the sum and divide it by 36 Monthes you pay less than 170NIS per month).
    I do not believe in upgrading, overclocking etc... a system should be sufficient for 3 years if it was designed correctly. I hold this philosophy for the last 15 years.

Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

if that what makes you happy Gab....

Just ordered HD4550 which has passive cooling and great for video decoding while low cpu usage.
    Both of my computers are 20% overclocked and working like a charm. I preffer to OC E7300 to 3.19GHZ at no cost than to spend an extra of 70$ for E8400@3GHZ (Of course if i'll buy it it might go to 3.4-3.6 since at these higher clocks it tends to heat....)
    I had my lousy experience over the years with overclocking.....But these G31 based boards (Asrock) combined with kingston ddr2-800 work like a charm :O)

Hey there HipHoper, were you unhappy with the E2200? I was thinking about using those for my Mom's PC.
    Last edited by Richard1; January 14th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Hi Richard :O)

It seemed that the E2200 wasn't fast enough to decode MKV and other HD formats. For Xvid/Divx files it worked well, But I'm always on the road of imporvment of my HTPC, And it might be sufficient for your mom.

if that what makes you happy Gab....
    What really makes me happy i a Shawarma and beer...
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

You talk the talk but don't seem to able to walk the walk...i can recall at least 3 invitations I offered you.....So consider this one the 4th !!!

BTW, Saw some glitches today on my HTPC, And waiting for the HD4550 I ordered to replace the 8400GS card. Also I don't like the HDMI output colors, Might try the lcd with vga output.....

P.S. Lol @ ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIutgtzwhAc
    Last edited by HipHoper; January 15th, 2009 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks

She will only be using it to surf the web, check e-mails and watch DVDs, so hopefully it will perform adequately.

You talk the talk but don't seem to able to walk the walk...i can recall at least 3 invitations I offered you.....So consider this one the 4th !!!

BTW, Saw some glitches today on my HTPC, And waiting for the HD4550 I ordered to replace the 8400GS card. Also I don't like the HDMI output colors, Might try the lcd with vga output.....

P.S. Lol @ ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIutgtzwhAc
    : That was cool.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.