cd missing
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: cd missing

Angry cd missing

I using Vista 32 bit on a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 the problem is my cd no longer shows up in win explorer or in device manager. don't know when it happed as I haven't used it in a while but I can't use my cd at all. I don't think it's the hardware as it starts running as you start my compputer I can hear it spin befor windows log on screen comes up. I tried removing the filters but that didn't do anything and I don't know what else to do? Please help Me

Are you comfortable getting into the CMOS and making sure that it is seen there? If not, take it to a pro.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

This issue has beeen observed by a number of users and can result from use of combinations of Norton, iTunes, Limewire, Roxio and/or Nero (at least).

Basically, you need to uninstall any of those (Norton, if it is your a/v, should probably be left until last and NOT uninstalled when you are on-line).

Welcome to Windrivers Shoffman.
    Check in device manager... does it show up there? If it does, is there an error code? If so, what is it? Also, try this. I know it says for an upgraded computer, but this works for a computer that came with vista as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No it dosen't show up in the device manager I wish it did then maybe I could figure it out.

Yes it shows up in the cmos as TSST Corp cd/dvdw TS-L632d-(sm) which I guess is the mfg.

No I don't Have most of thoes as McAffe is my virus and I have I tunes but it dosen't seem to work either. main screen loads but then when I try and use it it can't find the cd either.,also Inter Video Win DVD for Toshiba, Unlead DVD Movie factory, Windows DVD maker & windows Media Center And Yahoo Music Juke Box and all of these came preinstalled on this system also cd &dvd Disc creator for Toshiba.

Can you boot from a Windows install disk?

No the system dosen't reconise my cd player at all.

Please, download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop. Click on file, preferences, report and uncheck the 'include debug information in the report' box. People rarely want to see that stuff.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY Top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Note: the 'Very Top' isn't one line down, it means what it says.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' icon - this will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then copy and paste it to here.

I'm not sure I'm using the program that you wanted me to use, PC Mech. as I couldn't follow some of the steps that you instructed me to follow.
    I'm not sure how to put a attachment to this message

/
    Last edited by shoffman; January 24th, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: two much space

majorgeeks download page is confusing.

click here then in the middle near the top you will see some US flags and click on the words MajorGeeks |FL - USA| just to the right of the flag. If you are using IE, the page will change and you will then have to click the beige bar at the top to download.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer SHARON (PORTABLE)
    Generator HOFFMAN
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition 6.0.6001 (WinVista Beta)
    Date 2009-01-25
    Time 10:18

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name SHARON (PORTABLE)
    User Name HOFFMAN

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Celeron M, 1733 MHz
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Unknown
    System Memory 1013 MB
    BIOS Type Phoenix (03/06/07)

Display:
    Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (256 MB)
    Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (256 MB)
    Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
    IDE Controller Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
    Disk Drive FUJITSU MHW2120BH ATA Device
    SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 112971 MB (43512 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network:
    Network Adapter Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter (192.168.1.102)
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Modem TOSHIBA Software Modem

Peripherals:
    Printer \\MAIN-A5D9703FEE\Brother MFC-5440CN USB Printer
    Printer \\MAIN-A5D9703FEE\Brother PC-FAX
    Printer Family Tree Maker Printer
    Printer Microsoft Office Live Meeting 2007 Document Writer
    Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    Printer Quicken PDF Printer
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC [NoDB]
    Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
    Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

This is the ONLY Toshiba site I could find that even acknowledges that Notebook exists (enter A135-S4527 in the empty box);

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...sp/askIris.jsp

The dvd is a 'Super Multi' which is just a generic description.

There is a Bios update in 2007 - it apparently only addressed a 'power on password prompt' issue that could incorrectly occur.

That site doesn't give specs or manuals or guides. That model was apparently sold through a large number of outlets like Best Buy and NewEgg, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114343

Since the dvd doesn't show in Everest, it is hard to even recommend a replacement. However, Toshiba in similar notebooks, like the satellite pro a120, used the MATSH*I*TA DVD-RAM UJ-841S (no *'s).

That being said, there is a similar issue discussed here;

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/matsh*it...oblems-180785/ (remove the *)

Best I can do - Noo Noo or someone else may have better info/guidance.

The newegg.com page tells me it's a dvd super multi which I seem to rember but didn't know the mfg. unless this number TSST corp. cd/dvddw TSL632D-(sm) which at one time
    showed up if that's any help. The club cd freaks is having server problems?
    I appreciate all the time you have devoted to helping me. thanks again