Missing mixer device for laptop

Thread: Missing mixer device for laptop

Missing mixer device for laptop

Hi guys
    New to this site so im sorry if im in the wrong place

I have just refomatted my laptop (toshiba satellite p100-160) with windows xp home edition for the 2nd time now but im having problems with my sound

The first time i did it, it took me about a week to find the drivers but now i seem to have no luck at all. When i try to instal the drivers i get an error message saying:

Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA devices for this driver

Iv also seen a message sumwhere saying that im missing all my mixer devices etc etc but i cant remember where.

Can anyone help me as iv not got a clue what to do now

Thanks

Since that is a Series you need the exact model also.

Then go here; http://support.toshiba.ca/support/Do...ln_byModel.asp and enter your data and OS.

You will want to install Chipset drivers FIRST, then audio, etc.

edit: you will, of course, go to the Toshiba site appropriate for your country and place of purchase
    Last edited by CCT; February 15th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Hey

Thanks for the reply but unfortunatly that didnt help.

I just downloaded the chip-set drivers and installed them and restarted, then continued with the audio drivers and i still have the same error code.

Any other suggestions

Please describe how you did the audio download and install.

I usually recommend:

To install drivers from the internet:

go into Windows Explorer, left click on Desktop, then File, then New and then Folder - name the folder XXXDrivers (where XXX = type, eg, AudioDrivers)

go to the site for your driver, find the RIGHT one for your mobo and OS,(click on the nearest site to you if appropriate) and then download button - when asked where to 'save' the download specify your desktop folder XXXDrivers and wait until the download is complete.

Once it is done, clear your screen and click on the desktop folder and then on the file inside - if it is a zip or rar file it will need to be unzipped or unpacked - make sure if you are asked to specify where to unzip/unpack to tell it to do so to the XXXDrivers folder.

Once you are done that, uninstall the old drivers for the device and then select the device and specify update drivers and direct the search to the folder you made (don't let Windows do it).

well apart from naming the folders audio etc, i just saved them zipped verion, unzipped then installed as you said, went to device manager and re-installed them..

like i said, its the sound one that says there is no mixer driver or media driver availble..

Any ideas where to get this

So, in Device manager you will have a yellow bang ( the !) beside something.

Uninstall it and reboot.
    Last edited by CCT; February 15th, 2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: bang - not bong - lol

I have PCI Device with the bang next to it, iv uninstalled it and tried to re install the audio and chip set but i still get the error message

also if this is any hlep at all under the sound, video and game controllers i have: audio codecs, legacy audio drivers

iv tried to un install these as well but nothing

Is there no way i can just uninstall the whole lot and start all the media and sound stuff from scratch

No you shouldn't do that... it's just the ac97 sound.. but it's not there.
    Is it possible that the sound has been turned off in the bios/cmos/setup?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, not being sure what went on, and since you now have my (and the illustrious Noo Noo's) attention, then maybe a fresh start would be good.

ok
    well then i need to now what to do in order to remove anything to do with the sound and what and in what order to re install it all

im not re installing windows again as iv just done that and it takes ages lol

not to mention a game which takes hours to install as well...

so any help now would be good

thanks

In this section there is an XP Sound troubleshooting sticky - I think you should run through that First.

ok, just been through all that now

wen i select sounds etc from control panel, everything is faded out (cant click) on every tab

all the system thing says it auto and working fine, all the audio codecs are installed and working fine so it says..

i have 1 yellow ! on PCI Devices and thats about all i can tell you..

I dnt realy no wot else to say

As you know i have Toshiba Satellite p100-160 running on windows xp home edition service pack 2

I re-instaled windows this morning and the sound was fine then (on xp)

so.. what to do now..

IF the install went well and you had sound then lost it, the thing to figure out is "when did it go away?".

Do you have a System Restore Point from right after the install this morning?

Use it.

If not, given the liklihood of driver screw-ups, or possible malware, I would suggest you start again from scratch, and DO NOT install the game(s) until you have everything running well AND have set a System Restore Point.

Do Not go online without the Windows firewall enabled.