hello everyone. i'm new to the forum. i have a gateway mx7515 laptop. it was running xp, my husband upgraded to vista ultimate x64. when he first did this, we searched and searched to find a way to fix it. we succeeded. then he decided to reformat. we lost the drive. i don't know which one it was that we tried that worked, i only remember that it showed "test mode" in all four corners. that was a small price to pay for the sound. so now we are back at square one. i searched all over the internet trying all different kinds of drivers from like 5p-4a yesterday and into this morning. i'm stuck. someone please help me. i have been to gateway.com. that's no help. they don't have upgraded drivers for vista. and say they never have. so look, i put a question about it on yahoo answers. no one knows and they just want to give me jibberish, when i know there was a solution before, so there is now as well. so please don't tell me i need a new sound card. i know there's a fix, somehow somewhere. also, i have downloaded realtek ac '97 and it shows up under my devices with a yellow ! mark and says code 10. when no drivers are working it shows the sound devices area with a yellow ! mark with no name of devices. is there a certain way that i am missing to install it? i'm restarting as it says to do.

please help me! i'd really like to have my sound back. i don't know much about computers, so please try to help in a patient matter. lol.