white line across middle of screen - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: white line across middle of screen

You could just swap the video cards between them.... they are pretty light to carry
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I cannot get down on the floor where both are to do it nor can I pick either up as apart from being ill I have disabilities and now have a blue badge for my car. If I drop anything I have to use a helping hands wand. I am hoping as both are on the floor I can drag the other one along the hall on a mat and put it beside this one somehow or take the bag off my shopping trolley and tip it on to that. I am inclined to think it is the video card. If so I will have to get the shop to come and do it or collect and deliver. I wonder if they upset my card when they transferred the machine from the old midi tower to this one when the PSU went. The video is intermittent, it can happen three times in five minutes then go an hour.
    Last edited by MorseLady; February 15th, 2009 at 06:05 PM.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

It's a shame I don't live closer... but that nice young man with the dog... might be fun to watch bending down to pick up the box to bring it next to the other pc!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Actually I only know him to pass the time of day and being a widow living alone I would never invite a man into my house I did not know well unless he was from the Council or something, prior appointment and identity card. I wonder if I could harness my cat lol! I have family friends but they are older than myself and most of them are not strong.

Are you entitled to any home care? Home Help type thing?

No you have to be really old and on your last legs here. Even a lady up the road who is 90 and nearly died a few months ago and recently had a mild stroke only get community meals but that is just frozen stuff she has to warm up. In any case they would never be allowed to lift a computer, 'elf and safety you know!

I have just realised the obvious. If switching the monitor off for a few minutes restores my screen then it must be the monitor doh! So I think instead of bringing the spare computer in I will try the spare monitor first and leave it on a soak test.

That sucks....

I have now proved it is the monitor because shaking it brings the screen back, any ideas what might be wrong with it? I have checked the lead and it is in securely. However I do not do monitors so guess it's a new one.

Noo if you want to move this to the video Forum that is OK by me :-)

Nearly two hours now since I shook the monitor and still going - knock on wood!
    Last edited by MorseLady; February 16th, 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: more info

I did some reading around and the consensus seems to be failure in 'vertical deflection circuits'.

This is NOT a user-servicable item.

Certainly, a bad or loose connection at the crt dvi/vga plugs or bad cable could cause problems, but I think the nature of the display tells the tale.

TRhank you CCT. Since I gave it a good shake four hours ago it has been holding up but as you have seen on the other thread I am buying a new flat panel monitor anyway if only for backup if this one has settled for now.

Thank you everyone, guess we have sorted this issue.

The fault may be straightforward to fix, typically a bad solder joint, bad contact on the yoke plug or similar. But the technician's time involved in finding it and proving it is the sole cause and the repair will hold, means the cost may be out of proportion. Do you have any ham radio contacts who may be able to go over it for bad solder joints, without it costing you?

I now have my spare monitor on my desk. I was chatting to the lady who brings my catalogue orders and she offered to move it for me. So I can choose my new flat panel monitor at my leisure.

I rang the shop and they don't do monitors and did not know anyone who did. They said not cost effective and best discard it and buy a new one.

Platypus I do have two ham radio friends who could probably do it but they are both extremely busy so I will just mention it and see if they offer. Both were electronics experts in the RAF, one a retired Squadron Leader who was on radar and has a degree in electronics.

Thank you everyone,
    Last edited by MorseLady; February 17th, 2009 at 05:51 AM.

Frankly MorseLady, if you are happy getting a new LCD, then I would do so, since LCDs weigh a fraction of a CRT (no huge chunk of glass!).
    That way you won't be reliant on someone moving it for you.

Yes I agree it's time to get a flat screen panel.

Thanks for your help Noo and everyone.