What PSU for a 9800GT?

Thread: What PSU for a 9800GT?

What PSU for a 9800GT?

Just upgraded my graphics card only to find I need a new power supply too as the 9800GT is a bit hungry!

What is the recommended PSU to go with this card? On the Nvidia site it says a minimum system power supply of 400w and the card draws 105w max but it just toasted the 450w PSU I had in there.

Would a 550w PSU be enough? I don't really want to spend more on the power supply than I have on the card!

This link will get you a lot of guidance and additional links re power supplies;

http://www.techimo.com/forum/technic...pply-info.html

It notes this link that helps you calculate total power usage;

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

buksida, it is a false economy to go cheap on the psu, since it can take out every other component in your pc when it fails.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the tips, that power demand calculator is most useful, after putting my specs in there it came out with 341 watts.

I managed to get a 680w one that puts out around 460w with 36 amps on the +12v rail. So far so good!

(The old "450w" unit was only putting out about 200w which explains why it cooked!).
    Last edited by buksida; March 17th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.

That should be ok. One other tip
    A heavy psu is more likely to last and provide stable power along the rails than one that feels light. The heavier psus also tend not to put the peak wattage only on the psu label, but the normal load as well. My antec says it's a 300 watt psu... that's normal load, I have no idea what it can cope with at peak... but short of sli systems, I have used it as a test in a number of juicy systems.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've just noticed that my CPU temperature now hits 60 degrees C under load (gaming), I've set the ASUS probe to alert me at this temperature. Would it be advisable to get a decent CPU cooler also as its currently running the stock one, processor is an X2 5600+ Windsor which at idle is about 47 degrees.

You cpu shouldn't go above 70C... How much over 60 is this going?
    The idle temp is about right

Yes you will get cooler temps if you invest in a bigger cooler and clean the old paste off and renew it with the correct paste.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    You cpu shouldn't go above 70C... How much over 60 is this going?
    Depends on the game, played Stalker CS tonight and it never went over 57, whereas NFS Undercover hits 60 quickly. I would imagine it depends how the cores are utilised, I'll keep an eye on it and get a better cooler if it starts breaking 60 regularly.

Thanks again!

if it's hitting under 65 every time, I wouldn't worry, just move the alarm to 65... If it was 68 I would get concerned.

AMD provides a link to coolers: http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...ail.aspx?id=35

I would suggest you check that the Asus mobo Q-fan is engaged and set the target temp for as low as possible. This is a Bios setting under Power, Hardware Monitor. A lot of people forget to set the target.

Just a quick revival to this thread to state that the 680w PSU just died, managed 6 months out of it though! Looks like I'll need an 800w unit that weighs half a ton and puts out 50 amps on the 12v rail!

Something isnt right there. A name brand 680 should carry that system for a lot longer then 6 months. I have easily whats in that system and my 620 enermax has been running 2 years now and looks to go on from there easily.Those temperatures you displayed may be a part of it. It sounds like the system is getting hotter then it should. I would look seriously at the airflow. in at the bottom in the fron and out at the top in the back. Anything else creates turbulence which stops the airflow.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks for the reply, the previous PSU wasn't any brand I'd ever heard of so I'll invest in an Enermax this time, at least it'll come with a warranty if it does cook again! I'll also beef up the CPU cooler and strap a few extra fans to the case.

The room its in does get hot and I live in the tropics which doesn't help!

Well, this is embarrassing, had a bit of a fiddle - the good news is that the PSU is ok - it works in another machine. This means that the the electrical burning smell can only be from the UPS which has now been converted into a doorstop.

I will get the cooling system sorted out while I'm there also, thanks again.
    Last edited by buksida; September 18th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.