Multimedia - Data Is Invalid - No Solution

Thread: Multimedia - Data Is Invalid - No Solution

Multimedia - Data Is Invalid - No Solution

Hey all,

I'm only writing here out of intense desperation. I'm having the same problem it seems millions have had before me. Let me just say that... I've done it all. That having been said . . .

I'm running a Dell Dimension 8400 system. My hard drive recently fried so I went and bought a new one and loaded XP Pro on it. Went to the dell site. Found all the drivers for my exact model. Installed them. Everything worked... except the infamous Multimedia Audio Controller. Now, for some reason, I have two of them in my Device Manager. I did all the troubleshooting. I contacted Dell support twice. They remotely connected to my system and tried to install the driver manually, twice on two separate occasions as I watched them, having already told them I did exactly what they were doing already. Their only solution was the Paid Tech Support line. I cursed them out, twice.

The problem seems to be the "data is invalid" error. When the Found New Hardware Wizard opens, it goes to install the correct driver, and then fails, telling me the data is invalid. I have my current chipset drivers installed. This same message also came up when I tried to plug in my USB Webcam.

I tried going into the registry and allowing Full Control to the drivers in question, but have had no luck.

If anybody has ANY ideas, please please please feel free to direct them my way. I'm almost out of ideas.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate any support!

- Mark

EDIT:

I seem to be getting close to the solution. I have both Home and Pro installed on this machine. I installed Home first because it was the only disc I had and then my serial on my Dell wouldn't match it. I then put Pro on. The drivers install correctly on Windows XP Home. I'm currently about to do a Windows Repair on XP Pro because from what I've read my registry may be corrupt.
    Last edited by commanderkeen08; March 26th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.

After looking up your exact model on dell it appears that there may be 2 different sound devices used.
    ADI or Creative
    Can you identify with Everest which physical device is used
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.ph...c13fc5b7062019
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

The following may apply;

This error appears to be due to a protection problem in the Windows registry and can occur with a variety of drivers.

To fix this problem, click Start, Run and enter REGEDT32.

Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI and you will see a number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like : "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04".

Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install.

Highlight the entry "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'SECURITY'-'PERMISSIONS' FROM THE WINDOW TOP MENU and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control".

Close REGEDT32 and then continue with the installation of your device.

re Winfast device: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810509