Access database cost

Thread: Access database cost

Access database cost

Hi...new here and I have some questions. I'm designing a medium-sized Access database for an agency and am charging by the hour. Now, through word of mouth from one agency to another, a second agency has expressed an interest in the same database, with some minor changes. How do I charge for this? Do I charge only for the hours I put in to make the changes, or do I charge based on the entire product? Seems wrong for one agency to spend the money to develop it and then allow the second agency to use it at a much lower cost. However, it also feels wrong to charge the same fee to the second agency for much less work.

Out of fairness I'd say offer it at the same amount as the total sum of the first clients charges. However if you're thinking that's too much think of a nice base price you want to offer that program for and start offering it to anyone who's interested at that base price. But that is my opinion see what the others have to say.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Think how much it would be worth for them and charge accordingly. The price of an item is the amount someone is willing to spend for that item.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Out of fairness I'd say offer it at the same amount as the total sum of the first clients charges. However if you're thinking that's too much think of a nice base price you want to offer that program for and start offering it to anyone who's interested at that base price. But that is my opinion see what the others have to say.
    So you don't think charging the same price would be out of line? It's not that I necessarily think it's too much, it's just that I want to be fair. If charging the same amount is fair, meaning if that's the way it's typically done, then I'm comfortable with that. Then again, maybe I'll go with a base price like you suggested and drop the charge for the first agency to that base price rather than the full charge.

Either way I've got some thinking and calculating to do.

Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it.

I'd charge at least what the first agency paid. If you charge the new customer less than the first one, you're going to create some ill will. Think about it. Agency 1 is going to be seriously pissed if they feel they paid development costs for a product that newcomers can now buy for cheap.

In other words, cutting the price is not just going to leave money on the table; you run a risk of losing a customer and all the future business and recommendations they might give you.

It of course depends on who thinks who owns the code your wrote... you may have entered into a contract where the original agency has the rights to the source code....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."