URGENT - Dell Dimension e310 Desktop - Boot Problem

Thread: URGENT - Dell Dimension e310 Desktop - Boot Problem

URGENT - Dell Dimension e310 Desktop - Boot Problem

Okay, this problem's occurred a few times in the past year or so, and each time I've called Dell Tech Support about it. This is the 4th time this error's come up, and I really don't want to call Dell if I can get help from you guys.

Here's the basics of what happened:

As I turned on the computer, at the BIOS screen, it freezes and stops. I powered down the computer and turned it back on. It booted fine.

A few hours later, after I had the computer off for about 2 hours or so, I turn it on again, and we get the following message at the boot display, and a single beep from the computer:

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
    Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    Copyright 1990-2004 Dell Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

Dell DV051 Series
    BIOS version A03
    www.dell.com

Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint Ithr. For help in resolving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support.

The underlined "Ithr" was underlined because these forums don't like the brackets.

Also, I noted two sets of the "diagnostic lights" on the front of the computer at different times (Dell asks for these, so I thought I'd post them out here anyways).
    The first set that comes up is: 1 4
    The second set that comes up is: 2 3

This Dell Desktop is used frequently by my family, so this is kind of an urgent matter.

Also, the last time I spoke with Dell Tech Support about this, they said it could be related to hardware failure. If I must get another computer, do you have any recommendations as to what to get.

---
    TrekCaptainUSA
    Last edited by TrekCaptainUSA; July 10th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

You checked for a bios update?
    Reading around, have you cleaned out the vents and the dust?

Also see this
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Regarding the BIOS:

I can't even get to the BIOS screen anymore. It just beeps and shows the screen with the message I posted earlier.

I had cleaned out the inside of the computer a few days ago (before this error) and got rid of the dust hanging out around the vents (using compressed air).

Time to pull all the drives and cards except video and 1 stick of ram.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Captain, do the beeps you hear match any of Dell's beep codes on Noo's earlier post? That could pinpoint the problem.

Also, it doesn't look to me as though your pattern of diagnostic lights 2 & 3 lit (yellow, I assume?) match any Dell descriptions. This would lead me to believe that the mainboard is probably bad.

I'll check on the beep code, although a single long beep is probably the only thing this model of computer has.

To be a bit more accurate, this computer in question has a build date of 2006. I consider it old, and the Dimension E310 is a really old model in comparison to the other computers I service.

UPDATE: I found Documentation from Dell about the model of computer in question. Took a google search for "Dell Dimension E310 Beep Codes" to find it.
    DOCUMENTATION: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/adtshoot.htm

The diagnostic lights thing on it only has green or nothing.

Also, the beep in question doesn't even show up on the list for documentation.
    Last edited by TrekCaptainUSA; July 10th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Then your only recourse is to strip the machine - doesn't take long to just pull the plugs.

If you consider 2006 old, then I service truly ancient machines!

Of course you should still go through all the basic troubleshooting steps of disconnecting everything from the motherboard, etc. In fact the diagnostic light code you posted might indicate a drive failure, so the board could be OK.

If the board turns out to be a goner, replacements are easy to find, generally from about $150. If you decide to replace the machine, my general recommendation would be to find a local system builder with a good reputation. Otherwise, in Name Brands, I lean toward Acer right now, but would also consider HP.