DVDRAM Drive and HDD issue with mobo

Thread: DVDRAM Drive and HDD issue with mobo

Exclamation DVDRAM Drive and HDD issue with mobo

It's not a big deal at all, but it's a bit of a pain in my keister because I have to boot twice to get the computer to recognize my drives. When it first boots, it takes forever to even get to the boot screen and then at the bottom it will say "No master hdd found" (or something similar) and there is one there
    and it will say DVDRW is not ATAPI compatible (or something like that).
    Hit F1 to continue

I will hit CTRL ALT DEL and it will reboot. Then it will take forever again (on mobo splash screen) before going through boot screen. It then recognizes my HDD but still says the ODD is not atapi compatible. I press F1 and it boots just fine, loads XP, and the dvdram works fine. I have not tested it for writing yet tho. So, at first I thought this was a quirk of building a pc from leftover parts hehe, but I put my brother's pc in shop (which i also built and it is older than mine - pentium 4 btx to my dual core asus p5l-mx). I found out that the only problem was a very simple, dumb one. I had tried to use IDE HDD drives in a mobo that only accepted SATA ones for my bro's pc. I had connected the ODD and master HDD on a dual IDE and (of course) it just wasn't having it. Now, I don't know where I would have found the information to know this in the first place, but I am beginning to wonder if my pc's problem is not similar. My HDD's are Western Digitals. One is SATA and one is IDE. The ODD is also SATA. I hooked the SATA HDD to the second Master SATA and the ODD to the first slave SATA. I am using a dual IDE for the Master HDD, but there is no slave connected to it - could this cause a problem? Laugh at me all you want, but I am a newbie to building and I am not embarrassed to ask the questions or admit any stupidity. I have an A+ tome of doom over here, will it tell me these things??

Hello Caradavin :

You might wish to tell us what size PSU you have and also whether you have checked voltages after boot in Bios and what they are.

What is your IDE Detect Time Out Bios setting?

Do you have Onboard IDE Operate Mode set as Enhanced and Enhanced Mode Support set as S-ATA ?