Why I sigh... - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Why I sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    ...So, Intuit simply closed out the support ticket.

And smiled with the satisfaction of a job not done. I get those on the Base.
    Yeah, it wasn't just Intuit, it was Apple's warranty service that was also half as-sed. I tried to get other backups to restore, but in the end, I had to make a copy of the end of the year file the client's accountant had, and they are re-entering almost 3 months of data. The screwiest thing of all was that the backup files were burned to CD, not stored on the hard drive, so apparently Quickbooks had been having problems for a while, presumably due to the failing drive.

However, on the bright side, the client has a one year support plan now, so if they have any further problems Intuit can't fix, it won't cost them extra.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    However, on the bright side, the client has a one year support plan now, so if they have any further problems Intuit can't fix, it won't cost them extra.
    And that is where the true savings come in. I always prefer saving money on shoddy support over the loss of revenue from shoddy support. Glad I don't use anyting by intuit and I knew there was a reason I hated dealing with their products.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    And that is where the true savings come in. I always prefer saving money on shoddy support over the loss of revenue from shoddy support. Glad I don't use anyting by intuit and I knew there was a reason I hated dealing with their products.
    The reason Intuit has more or less cornered the market is by selling the product cheap to users, and offering accountants free training and free software. Once a business is committed to the basic program, it's easy to sell a web site, credit card processing, and payroll services. At that point, QuickBooks can sell you a mandatory update anytime they want because it's cheaper than changing to another program. Been using Microsoft Office Accounting for 5 years now, and I'll never, never, ever, use any of Intuit's crap again. But, lots of customers do.

This thread has just come full circle; the person I dealt with in the very first post brought the computer to me. "ITunes just won't open!". "Hmmm... " sayest I, with a puzzled look. Before I can ask, I get a sarcastic "... And before you say it, I deleted ITunes and reloaded it twice. I made sure that I d/l the 64 bit version. No dice." I start up the dinosaur ( I mean ) computer, and everytime I click on ITunes, I get a flash of Quicktime trying to open and then nothing. I look in Task Manager and under Processes, and see that indeed Quicktime is hogging the show. I delete it, and lo and behold, ITunes works as planned. I ask if Quicktime is ever used, and I get an even snottier "NO!" than I thought was warranted. I make what I believe to be a totally needless admonishment NOT to reload Quicktime, and she quickly pays me and then bolts. 15 minutes later, I get the inevitable phone call with, you guessed it, ITunes isn't working again. "Just what the heck is wrong with this piece of %$#@!? " I sigh, deeply and purposefully, and ask the obvious. " Did you reload Quicktime?" A brief hesitation... Well, yes... But it worked before!!!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Almost forgot this thread existed.

Before I left my most recent position I had a fun why I sigh moment.

A week before my departure I notice an infector on the network. I have two options. Tell them and help, or not care and let them figure it out when they find it. I figured tell and help was better and wouldn't result in finger pointing. To make a long story short here are the bullet points.

1. It took 2 days for them to listen to my warning of computers all having errors and the same infector files on them.
    2. The day they decided to listen it took 4 hours to set up an "emergency meeting of all the lead techs and IT managers"
    3. They left me out of the discussion and listed to the advice of people not even involved with the site regarding the generic ideals of how to handle an unknown to them infector.
    4. I spent the wasted time creating, documenting, and applying a fix on 2 test computers.
    5. It took another 2 hours to get them to realize that the fix was needed and would work.
    6. In the debriefing after it was all said and done ALL of the IT managers wanted to know why their Symantec corporate level AV was not capable of finding and stopping a newer infector regardless of being up to date on their DAT files.
    7. After the debriefing the managers did not want to believe or understand that ALL antivirus products are not bulletproof and discredited my report.

And that, my friends, is an example of why I was leaving there in the first place.
    One Script to find them.

Why is it the people who work the hardest, have the most talent, and come up with the elegant solutions are paid and heeded the least?

...ALL of the IT managers wanted to know why their Symantec corporate level AV was not capable of finding and stopping a newer infector regardless of being up to date on their DAT files. <-- that is the equivalent of someone saying " I put locks on my doors, now my house is 100% burglar proof!."
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Usually I do not learn article on phorums, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article. best wishes

well at least we have bots that give us thing to read,

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Jamaican bot-sled team.......
    Sergeant WOTPP

that is the equivalent of someone saying " I put locks on my doors, now my house is 100% burglar proof!."
    As my old room mate used to say "Locks only keep out the honest thieves".
    One Script to find them.

sometimes guys I am glad I am semi retired .. can never retire all together in my blood an all..

I dont miss these people
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Why is it the people who work the hardest, have the most talent, and come up with the elegant solutions are paid and heeded the least?
    So I was told recently by my last business that they are disappointed at the shape I left them in during my last week. I was a bit surprised they were telling me that since I trained a novice home hobbyist how to run the place, discovered a threat on the network, created a fix for it, and stayed to help deploy this fix.
    One Script to find them.

Ha, I almost forgot this addition, this happened a few months back.

We're in a meeting about how to remove EVERY trace of SEP. Now if you've ever done an analysis on how many changes SEP does to a machine you know it's a daunting task of over 2000 registry keys. I had the resources from symantec to find these keys partially, so I had to do the analysis to find ALL keys and what changes were made or added. In our IT meeting of how to nuke it from current working installs that could not stand to be re-deployed I showed how I made a massive reg key and bat file utility to do the work for us in seconds.

The lead network security tech looks at my work and says "This won't work, it looks like it's missing commands and switches to revert the keys"
    I look at it and say "I don't see where you are finding this"
    The lead network security tech replies "I don't know I only know linux"

After that point I realized I had better things to do than to be on a phone meeting.
    One Script to find them.

I worry about places that "could not stand to be re-deployed". Where is the back up and disaster recovery?
    Much quicker to do a bare metal recovery than altering 2000 reg keys.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    I worry about places that "could not stand to be re-deployed". Where is the back up and disaster recovery?
    Much quicker to do a bare metal recovery than altering 2000 reg keys.
    Believe me there was much I was worried about there. People with degrees in things that I don't know the first thing about in IT but I'm the one who has the foresight and common sense to realize that a standardized image for the stand alone workstations is good business sense.
    One Script to find them.