Why I sigh... - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Why I sigh...

He does it as a favor. The thing is my step dad and his nephew are strong believers in "if you can copy it/get a hacked version then you shouldn't ever pay money for a legit version". It doesn't help that my mom downloads virii on a daily basis in an effort to get free tools to hide what you do on the net, hide your IP, and "stalkerware" from those sites that claim their little program can find dirt on anyone by simply installing it.

Maybe those reasons are why I'm having a blast making a slipstream of XP for where I work, the install is so locked down the only thing you can do is work or turn the pc off.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Group policy is a great tool for that. ( Start, Run, GPEDIT.MSC )
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I'm using some group policies as well, my big thing I like with a slipstream is I can make the CD not have the files for some features that the users should never have and therefore makes the OS install devoid of them being added as an afterthought. Putting users on restricted access only magnifies the control at that point. Still working on getting approval for Deep Freeze, once I get that these machines will be virtually bulletproof to the standard users tinkering.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    I'm using some group policies as well, my big thing I like with a slipstream is I can make the CD not have the files for some features that the users should never have and therefore makes the OS install devoid of them being added as an afterthought. Putting users on restricted access only magnifies the control at that point. Still working on getting approval for Deep Freeze, once I get that these machines will be virtually bulletproof to the standard users tinkering.
    You might be surprised. Some bootkits like TDSS can still infect systems that are protected with MS Steady State, and I would suspect that the same may be true of Deep Freeze, or any of the other similar software.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    You might be surprised. Some bootkits like TDSS can still infect systems that are protected with MS Steady State, and I would suspect that the same may be true of Deep Freeze, or any of the other similar software.
    You sir are correct, and I'm prepared to have those as the only risks on the systems.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    You sir are correct
    Always. Except when I'm wrong. Lately, I'm pushing clients to use a White List on their Internet connections, and only permitting connections to a few specific work related sites. Man, is there lamentation heard in the land!

I have limited experience with Steady State, but have found it to have a large hit on performance, as well as making life difficult for routine maintenance like installing updates. Given that you don't ever know how a given vulnerability may be exploited until after the fact, usually, I think it remains important to keep everything patched as a safeguard.

Which (finally) gets me to the point of the post: I've found Steady State good for systems that don't need to be top performers (kiosks, hotel lobbies, etc.where you can just blow out the installation if you need to anyway) but otherwise, they are annoying to administer. In fact, I'd say Steady State works better as a tool to preserve the system configuration than as a security tool. So, I'm curious; does Deep Freeze avoid some of the limitations and annoyances of Steady State?
    Last edited by slgrieb; February 11th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    So, I'm curious; does Deep Freeze avoid some of the limitations and annoyances of Steady State?
    With the several test machines I've made it has had a small footprint, and I've never noticed a difference in performance. It does have the ability to have non-frozen sections so you can allow for file manipulation in the directories you dictate. You can also disable it for full access to do higher end file changes. Server editions allow for an automated turn off of the software so patches and updates can be pushed through. I suggest doing a test install and see what you think. www.faronics.com is where it can be found. The program is as easy to remove as it is to install from the times I tried it. But it wouldn't hurt to use a test machine.
    One Script to find them.

Thanks for the info. I'm short on test machines at the moment, 'cause I've hit one of those periodic cycles where everything in the office needs a PSU or some sort of maintenance, and my primary machine has just had its second OCZ Vertez 2 180GB drive crap out within 6 months. At the moment, I'm not feeling very experimental. But, I agree this might be worth a look. Me love you long time too, buddy.
    Last edited by slgrieb; February 11th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Latest sigh-inducer:

My cell phone rings, and it is a customer I have dealt with twice in the past. "My Mac just died, and it won't boot. I get an error, but I just want to be sure that the data is retrieveable. I know your daughter has a mac, we can hook the drive up to it and burn to a disk, right?"

Me: "I suppose, I'll have to ask her if I may use it. Did you want to bring it here, or did you need me to come there, and when?" Her: "Oh, you'll have to come here, I don't have wheels right now, and I need this done NOW." Me: " Okay, I'll ask the kid and see what can be done. Remember, if I have to come there, I'll have to charge you for travel, in addition to my hourly rate, which I prefer in cash." Astonished customer: "WHAT??? I didn't think you should charge me, we're just getting freaking data from a drive!!!" Me: "Sigh..."
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Latest sigh-inducer:

My cell phone rings, and it is a customer I have dealt with twice in the past. "My Mac just died, and it won't boot. I get an error, but I just want to be sure that the data is retrieveable. I know your daughter has a mac, we can hook the drive up to it and burn to a disk, right?"

Me: "I suppose, I'll have to ask her if I may use it. Did you want to bring it here, or did you need me to come there, and when?" Her: "Oh, you'll have to come here, I don't have wheels right now, and I need this done NOW." Me: " Okay, I'll ask the kid and see what can be done. Remember, if I have to come there, I'll have to charge you for travel, in addition to my hourly rate, which I prefer in cash." Astonished customer: "WHAT??? I didn't think you should charge me, we're just getting freaking data from a drive!!!" Me: "Sigh..."
    I wonder if she does the same thing when she calls for delivery and says
    "oh I don't want a pizza I just want a drink"
    Ma'm we'll have to charge for the delivery and the drink.
    "but I'm thirsty why do I have to pay if I don't want any pizza?"
    One Script to find them.

Dammit, now I want delivery pizza...

...And less than a month later, I get delivery pizza. MMMM... Cheesy!

My story is just this
    Itunes+iphone+Customer
    Need I say more
    SIGH!!!!!!!
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I've got a good one, but it's about Intuit support and not a customer. 2 weeks ago one of my iMac owning clients had some problems with her shiny new computer, and a hard drive replacement later it was running again. However, while the drive was going south, it corrupted many files. Apple's local Authorized Solutions Provider cloned the drive, but didn't attempt any file repairs. So, I had to re install a printer and some misc. software, including QuickBooks for Mac 2011.

Anyway, in the end, I contacted Intuit support for help in rebuilding the company file. Of course, the customer had to purchase an annual support plan, and then I sent Intuit the company file and two backup files (in case the company file couldn't be repaired), and Lo!, neither the company file nor the backups could be recovered. Nor could they recover the next two most recent backups I sent. So, Intuit simply closed out the support ticket.
    Last edited by slgrieb; April 17th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

...So, Intuit simply closed out the support ticket.

And smiled with the satisfaction of a job not done. I get those on the Base.