Sony Vaio Laptop

Thread: Sony Vaio Laptop

Question Sony Vaio Laptop

About 11 months ago a customer brought me his Sony Vaio Laptop Model # PCG-5L2L. Some of the keys on the keyboard worked and some didn't, so I thought his kids had spilled something on it but when I took it apart the keyboard was clean. to make a long story short I replaced the keyboard and the computer worked great. Now he's brought the laptop back to me and the keyboard is now totally dead. If I plug in a USB keyboard that works fine. Does anyone know of keyboard problems with the model? It seems odd to have 2 keyboards go so close together. What would cause this to happen? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
    That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they really hate is lousy programmers.

Google -> Sony Vaio PCG keyboard issue problem failure

Curious, since it was almost a year to date of when it was last brought in I'm wondering if there is bad power coming through. Such as the power supply is faulty or even maybe a component is compromised by a jolt of electricity. Have you run a diagnostic on the motherboard? Unsure if there is a way to test the power supply though.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I finally got back to this laptop, (I had to put it on hold for a few days) I pulled the keyboard out and that's when I found the problem, some sort of white sticky liquid had been spilled on the keyboard. It had been cleaned up on the front of the board so that you wouldn't notice but on the back it was still there. Must have been a big spill because you could see it had seeped in from all four edges. Phoned the owner and it seems he had let his teenage son use the computer and he didn't tell his dad about the spill. Now the owner is trying to decide whether or not to put another $200 into this laptop or buy a new one. I say make the kid pay for it.
    That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they really hate is lousy programmers.

I'd suggest buying a new one, he's just 150-250 shy of a brand new one with a warranty. Glad you found the problem though.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.