MySQL and personal MMO servers

Thread: MySQL and personal MMO servers

MySQL and personal MMO servers

OK so I'm of the group of Star Wars Galaxies that liked it the way it was orignally designed and not what it was reconfigured into wich is the worst features of WoW and a FPS combined. I saw the SWGEmu and it's never going to be finished before the new Star Wars MMO is released. So.... I took a few ideas and figured they should work together.
    The problem is my first hurdle which is SQL. I'm not going to purchase it for an experiment. I found MySQL which I was told would be able to handle the concept. I have no idea about SQL or its variants so my first question is: Is this something I should tackle as a SQL/MySQL beginner? My second question is has anyone figured out how to install MySQL on Kubuntu? The forums I read for installing MySQL on Kubuntu were confusing at best.

The reason I'm looking into this is I will be increasing my bandwidth in the future and I want to have a small server to host the game in its original format to friends and associates only.

P.S.
    YAY MY 1000th POST!!!!!!!!
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

MySQL is definitely a good place to start, plenty of documentation out there on how to run it and with the ubuntu flavors, it's very easy to install and run.

I'm running xubuntu LAMP server(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) no problem, since my server does not have a gui interface, I had used apt-get to install the package. if you are loading the gui, you should be able to find the package in the synaptic package manager. It's been a while since i installed, but if memory serves me right, installing SQL was a choice in the setup process of the OS i was using. If not, try running this from the command line:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

For management of the SQL server, I use phpMyAdmin through apache/php and/or Webmin. Depending on what services you want to run, you may need to pick a different management application
    Last edited by Matridom; October 7th, 2009 at 06:06 AM.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks for pointing me in the direction I need to go Matridom. Hopefully I can figure it out from there I'll keep ya posted on if I get confused with this.

Blah, it looks like what I need to do is find the files that are needed to host Star Wars Galaxies Publish 13 or Publish 14. I thought I could use the client files :-P I feel like I'm back to stage one again of my personal LAN of the game.

By the way before someone mentions it would be easier to play on the official servers I'll fill you in on a few details. SWG is way past publish 14. Once 14 was surpassed they basically made it an entirely different game. Think of the change being as drastic as going from chess to checkers. Yes it was oversimplified and totally unenjoyable. They've tried to make it a little like it used to be but there's still nothing that makes it fun to me or my friends who would like to see it on my LAN. The other reason I won't and this is more a supporting fact than really a bother to me is that I got banned from their servers, for of all stupid reasons reporting what are called gold farmers. IE bot accounts designed to harvest in game currency to resell on the internet to lazy players which is a violation of the terms of playing on their servers.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; October 8th, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Found out what else I'm missing
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.