Mass Storage Device not working

Thread: Mass Storage Device not working

Mass Storage Device not working

Would be greatful if anyone can help...I have a WD Element 1600 mass storage device, has always been fine.
    Now, completley out of the blue - it does not work, there is power as light is on, when i plug it in, new hardware is found, it even notes that it is WD, but not more specific detail such as size etc.
    I'm not overly technical regarding these matters...but have tried reinstalling & updating drivers, still nothing. Basically i can not access information on the device as its not popping up in my computer etc.

can anyone help? 0 ideas on my side

What information can you get using Disk management?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

Plug it in a different computer. Chances are it won't work either -> dead.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

...nothing

it doesn't tell me anywhere about anything. It doesn't work on other computers either. says same thing. "WD, and new hardware found" no size info or anything.

its less than a yr old and had hardly anything on it all this time. just loaded music and pics on, 140GB worth and now not working.

any other suggestion suggestion? Maybe it is dead, hard to believe (to the non experienced computer mind)...my mind says...still brand new and done nothing overly challenging...ever...

files are mostly my own from itunes, some music from another friend, never had any virus or anything on his machinie though (similar to this atleast)

any help appreciated...again. Cheers

"it doesn't tell me anywhere about anything"

This isn't vey helpful - did anything show in Disk Management?

If it is less than a year old, it is probably under warranty. Contact WD per that site link I gave you and confirm that.

You may lose all your stuff, but would get a replacement.

If it's out of warranty, the removal from the external case and connection of the drive directly could be tried. That usually takes special adapters that aren't all that expensive.

CCT - Sorry for the unhelpful info on my part. Really its down to not knowing what I am talking about rather than just being lazy.

I do thank you for your help and will have a look and see if I can give any more specific detail to you once I have my hands back on it this evening.

if you can help from that, then great. if not then I will use the link that you have directed me to.

thank you for your time

*CONFUSED, external hard drives in particular can be subjected to vibration and movement while running. That's about the worst thing you can do to any hard drive. Regardless of brand, the failure rate for external drives seems much higher than internal drives.

you know, i didn't know they were that sensative, they just seem tough. I guess when you think about it, it makes sense though.

I did see one of those ani shock ones the other day, tested by droping off a mountain or something and proven to work.

maybe a gimmick, but if there is a next time - that is what i think i will get.
    I only ever used one as storing so many pictures and music files seemed to slow the computer down...no need to worry about that now though...its all gone. not good - but can only laugh....or cry for being an idiot!

cheers people