OE spell check in French - clean install of XP with clean install of Office 2007

Thread: OE spell check in French - clean install of XP with clean install of Office 2007

OE spell check in French - clean install of XP with clean install of Office 2007

I've seen this before, but it was always an upgrade of Office 2003 to Office 2007. This is a clean install of XP with a clean install of Office 2007. Now spell check is in French. What I've found Googling recommends installing a third party spell checker for OE.

My question is what's the best, most complete, easiest to use spell check that doesn't include malware or nags.

The user prefers OE & doesn't want to switch email clients, so that's not an option.

I'd like real world experiences, if anyone has used a particular spell check.

Thanks

~Dave

I believe you will find the needed instructions to 'fix' that issue here;

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    I believe you will find the needed instructions to 'fix' that issue here;

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html
    I appreciate the link, but that didn't work fo rme. Even though the dll was placed in the correct location, there was still no option to select English under Spell Checking in OE properties.

After extensive testing & analysis, I found that the freebie program “Spell Checker For OE” simply enables English as the default language for spell checking & places the original file for English spell checking in the folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof". This file (csapi3t1.dll) is the same file from Office 2003. It also places CUSTOM.DIC & uninstal.exe files in the same folder.

I had been critical of Spell Checker For OE, as it didn’t enable spell checking of the subject line. It turns out that Outlook Express natively does not check spelling in the subject line of a message. Because Spell Checker For OE works through Outlook Express, it will also only check the text in the body of the message. In-other-words, this limitation is in OE, not the third party application.

If you download & install this utility, you’ll be right where you would be if you had Outlook Express & Office 2003.

I tested just placing csapi3t1.dll in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof" as shown on the page linked, but this did not allow the selection of English in OE, so the program does something to enable this.

Issue is resolved.

~Dave

Thanks for the well written follow-up. That should help a anyone looking here for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    Thanks for the well written follow-up. That should help a anyone looking here for an answer.

My pleasure

It's a pet peeve of mine that forum members will often post a question, receive some good advice about things to try, but then never post back with the results.

A thread with a resolved issue in any Google indexed forum is a valuable resource for others.

I remember a thread from August 2004 where a member received an "unmountable boot volume error", where I posted recommending that he try a CD-ROM to replace the DVD-ROM to install Windows XP Home, which resolved the issue. I'd experienced exactly the same issue myself & spent hours solving it. Even Microsoft at the time, didn't have this in their Knowledge Base. There were posts to that thread all the way through January 2005 where people registered just to say that replacing the DVD-ROM with a CD-ROM resolved their issue. It was the number one result for a Google search for that error message for a while

It just goes to show how important it is to post a resolution

~Dave