SB0220 (Live! Digital 5.1) Drivers won't install
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SB0220 (Live! Digital 5.1) Drivers won't install

SB0220 (Live! Digital 5.1) Drivers won't install

Hi !

Maybe this has been asked hundreds of times, but here I go again:

I have brand new Soundblaster live ! digital 5.1 bulk-sound card. When I try to install the drivers (from CD or Creative's site), the installer says : no Creative product found, setup will now exit. When WinXp starts, it finds PCI INPUT DEVICE. I tried it in 5 different PCI slots also, with same result (also formatted HD and re-installed XP). I started doubting if the card was faulty, so I got older SB220 card (2 years old) from my friend. Xp found it saying MULTIMEDIA DEVICE found. The drivers installed correctly, everything worked like a charm. How can that be ? How can I get my own brand new SB to work ? I know that it's not broken.

I have:

WinXp prof
    QDI Kudoz 7e/333-A
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Connect 3D Radeon 9000 Pro
    512 Mb 333 Mhz DDR

I'm SO desperate...

Welcome to WD JZC.
    Since XP does not recognize the card as a "multimedia device", and that card is PnP compatable with certified XP drivers, I would tend to think it is bad as well. Can you try it in another pc to test?

Well.. rrr..

I know that the card is working one.. This is 2. card I got from the store, since the 1. did the same thing. I don't think that even I am so unlucky that I get two faulty cards at a row I don't have anyone else's computer to test the card at this time.

But you saw how your friends card was detected and installed properly, right? The 5.1 cards are at least three years old now, you installed the same exact card from your friend and it worked, right? Am I missing something? How, in fact, do you know the card is a working one?
    How about the friend you borrowed the card from? Easy swap and he even has the drivers already installed, should be painless.

Which driver are you using? The SB0220 is an oem card and is different from the retail version. There is a link to the Dell version here: http://us.creative.com//support/down...ame=Windows+XP

Also, take a look here: http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/S...reative_cli_us
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Yeah. The card is physically slightly different.. So I wondered If they've changed it somehow. The friend, from who I got the old card, is now in Greece.. so not possible to test right now. But in a week or so.. I am just a bit impatient right now . This thing is driving my crazy!

Good one hudson. Yeah, OEM's can be a beatch. You bought this card at local computer place JZC?

PS
    Hey hudson, check out ILTU's rant abuot oem Creative products in the Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by JZC
    Hi !

Maybe this has been asked hundreds of times, but here I go again:

I have brand new Soundblaster live ! digital 5.1 bulk-sound card. When I try to install the drivers (from CD or Creative's site), the installer says : no Creative product found, setup will now exit. When WinXp starts, it finds PCI INPUT DEVICE. I tried it in 5 different PCI slots also, with same result (also formatted HD and re-installed XP). I started doubting if the card was faulty, so I got older SB220 card (2 years old) from my friend. Xp found it saying MULTIMEDIA DEVICE found. The drivers installed correctly, everything worked like a charm. How can that be ? How can I get my own brand new SB to work ? I know that it's not broken.

I have:

WinXp prof
    QDI Kudoz 7e/333-A
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Connect 3D Radeon 9000 Pro
    512 Mb 333 Mhz DDR

I'm SO desperate...
    Does it ask you for the drivers for the PCI input device ? If it does then point it at the drivers for the sound card and see if it will load. If not, go to system after it installs it as a PCI input device and try to update the drivers manually for that device (right-click-properties-update driver).
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

I'm using the drivers, which came with the SB0220 card. They SHOULD work (at least did with my friends card). I get the front sound, when I install the drivers manually from the CD. Only problem is that the rear sounds won't play (and it's not due the speakers). This is of cource caused by missing drivers.

Maybe I should test those Dell drivers, thou this is not a DELL..

EDIT: and Yes, i have bought this card from local store. They don't know a thing .
    Last edited by JZC; July 27th, 2004 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Good one hudson. Yeah, OEM's can be a beatch. You bought this card at local computer place JZC?

PS
    Hey hudson, check out ILTU's rant abuot oem Creative products in the Lounge.
    Wouldn't have caught it, but there's another thread going with the same card and WinME http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=61537 I saw the rant - don't get me started.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I'm using the drivers, which came with the SB0220 card. They SHOULD work (at least did with my friends card). I get the front sound, when I install the drivers manually from the CD. Only problem is that the rear sounds won't play (and it's not due the speakers). This is of cource caused by missing drivers.

Maybe I should test those Dell drivers, thou this is not a DELL..
    You weren't clear earlier that you were getting partial sound. Does the card show up in device manager at all?

They're not Dell drivers - they're creative drivers for the sb live 5.1 oem card that dell sold. Don't know if the sb0220 is that card, but its definitely oem.

Sry about that.

The Device manager does not show SB -card, there's only EMU10K1 sound processor (after I install the drivers manually).

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Wouldn't have caught it, but there's another thread going with the same card and WinME http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=61537 I saw the rant - don't get me started.
    This from NooNoo in that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    thats not the retail, thats the oem version from hell

Yeah, I was assuming that XP did not even recognize the card. Now we have partial sound? Was that after trying the drivers again?

Sry about that.

The Device manager does not show SB -card, there's only EMU10K1 sound processor (after I install the drivers manually).
    That is the processor on SB Live cards.
    I think we should back up now. Where did you get the drivers from and how did you install them? Can you give a list of what is installed under sound in Device Manager? Have you tried removing all bits of sound drivers in safe mode and giving it another go?

I got the drivers from the store in Creative CD. I tried to install them from that CD, with no-success (With my friend's card they installed correcty). I have tried to install/uninstall for so many times.. I even formatted HD and tried to install to clean surface -> with no results.

There's also a Creative game port and MPU-401 midi device under DM and lot's of other un-usefull stuff.

edit: And the drivers are from the CD :\Audio\Drivers\CTZAPXX.exe , with these I get the partial sound (WDM drivers)
    Last edited by JZC; July 27th, 2004 at 03:37 PM.