DRIVER NEEDED: Hewlett Packard (HP) Laserjet 4050 (Windows 7) [Parallel Port]

Thread: DRIVER NEEDED: Hewlett Packard (HP) Laserjet 4050 (Windows 7) [Parallel Port]

DRIVER NEEDED: Hewlett Packard (HP) Laserjet 4050 (Windows 7) [Parallel Port]

I have Win-XP as a'printer server' and the HP Laserjet 4050 is connected via a 'hub' to this machine and works perfectly.

Have another Win-XP PC connected wirelessly to the'printer server' and the HP 4050 functions perfectly.

PROBLEM: My Windows 7 machine sees and works with 2 other printers on the Win-XP 'printer server' but cannot see the Laserjet 4050.

Have tried to download/install the x64 bit drivers from the HP web site [ http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...sId=25475&prod TypeId=18972&objectID=c00751649#A3 ] but none seem to work.

Any suggestions ??

thanks
    DanielJG

Support Information:
    Device Type: Printer / Plotter / Multi-Office
    Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard (HP)
    Model: Laserjet 4050
    Interface: Parallel Port
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Age of Device: < 2 years old
    FCCID:
    Last edited by Platypus; September 1st, 2010 at 08:55 AM.

This would not be the thread to use, I would suggest a new thread in the appropriate topic. However I cannot assist as I am not very good at printer problems especially over a network.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Hi Daniel, long time no see - 6 years! Welcome back.

I've answered Niclo's response by moving your post into its own topic. Unfortunately, like Niclo, I don't have network printer wisdom. We'll hope someone can help soon.

Daniel, I'm unclear on what you mean by having your XP machine set up as a printer server. Are you simple sharing printers on it, or using some other software/hardware?

If the printer is shared, and the Win7 machine can't detect it, you can try installing it as a local printer to LPT1, installing a driver manually, and then changing the port. Go to Devices and Printers, add a printer, then choose the local printer option on LPT1. Click next, then when you're prompted to select a printer, you'll need to click the Windows Update button because the 4050 won't appear as a choice in the list of HP printers otherwise. After the list is refreshed, click on HP in the left pane, and scroll down the list until you get to the LJ 4050. You have a choice of a PCL 5 or 6 driver. Pick one, then install it.

When that's done, go to the printer properties menu and change the port to a new local port named \\xpcomputername\printer name , apply the changes, and see if it prints.