Windows 7 Shortfalls

Thread: Windows 7 Shortfalls

Hybrid View

Okay Grasshoppa!

Your Tiger Style Word-fu is strong, but my Dragon style will defeat it.

Mariska Hargitay...

Hold me back Ferrit! Hold me Back!

Mariska Hargitay...
    Last edited by pbolduc; August 10th, 2010 at 02:28 PM.

pdolduc, the reason you didn't initially get many responses to this thread was that most forum members were trying to avoid a response.

It is very, very hard to find a tactful way to tell someone that they are full of crap. Personally, I don't usually bother with tact, but I also hate to discourage anyone posting on the forum. Matridom is to be congratulated for making an effort to present a well reasoned reply to your disjointed and generally incorrect assessment of Windows 7.

I've got to say I found your utility for changing file association is Win7 really useful, because I used it to deal with a program that one of my credit unions needs to receive reports from their data center. If I had to wait for the data center to fix their lousy software, I could be dead first. It's a bug that effects every version of Windows from W2K forward. Thank you for that useful utility.

Mostly, all you are doing is either picking nits about changes in Win7 or erroneously attributing bugs in third party software to changes in the OS. At the same time, you ignore the fact that Win7 is the first successful 64 bit OS, and that it offers superior multitasking, enhanced efficiency in memory utilization, native DVD burning, etc. Your assessment of is deliberately biased, and it stinks.

As an IT professional who makes most of his income from supporting corporate clients, I'd say that the "every day power user" is generally some bozo who knows just enough to be dangerous and, along with the airheads who can't understand why "free" screen savers and file sharing are dangerous, constitute most of my support headaches.

I've owned personal computers since 1981, and been an IT professional for over a decade, and the one thing that's been consistent in nearly 30 years has been listening to people who aren't intelligent enough or adaptable enough to deal with change rant about how the last version was better than whatever was new and different. Take you fire-hardened spears and flint knives and go home.
    Last edited by slgrieb; August 10th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.

I guess stating the obvious truth doesn't get a person very far.

I'm not full of crap, but you’re right about the way I approached the matter, it stinks. I came down on Windows 7 pretty hard when there could have been more serious problems to contend with. However, all my points can be backed up by example as well as proven workarounds to resolve these inconvenient truths. I have nothing to gain by stating these remarks as I am in the same business as you.

Another point I was trying to make is, not always is the latest greatest thing from a software company the best thing since sliced bread just because it’s a new version. (I also believe XP Pro 64 Bit was the first successful 64 bit OS). The reason why I've written what I have written is in hopes that some Microsoft programmer reading this form can perhaps bring up some of these points during their next meeting and take into consideration these changes for future builds.

For me, I'm just tired of having to go back to the drawing board each time they release a new product which is generally plagued by existing problems carried over and compounded by new and improved problems just because they decided to release a new version.

Obviously I hit a nerve in the community and maybe something will become of it. What drives me nuts are the people that know these little problems exist and refuse to admit that there are problems and turn a blind eye to them as if Microsoft never makes a mistake in their software. It’s no wonder so many people are targeting Microsoft software because its people like you who fuel them to rip it apart just to prove a point.

Very much like all those people who initially supported Vista out of the gate when Vista was released. I never pushed Vista onto anyone except for those that demanded I sell it to them. Then I gave them what they asked for, but I strongly advised them against the purchase as I told them to wait for Windows 7 and to stick with XP Home / Pro SP3.

I'm just looking out for public’s better interest who lookup to people in the industry who have already experienced the products and provide them with an unbiased stand point. A non salesmen version of what features are not mentioned in the sale of the software.

Slgried - I'm happy to hear the creativelement powertools software helped you. I guess to make a long story short everyone in this industry is plague with their fair share of problems and at the end of the day the last thing they want to read is someone focusing more on the negative then the positive. As the positives of Windows 7 completely out weight the negatives. If I offended anyone in my posts I'm sorry as it was not my intention. I'll only post useful information instead of flaming my frustrations on the forms. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Slgrieb - When did I give you the impression I was attributing bugs in third party software? All my complaints on this form topic have been personally experienced issues with a vanilla install of Windows 7 no additional software required. Just wanted to make that clear. The VPN issue I believe cleared itself up after I rebooted the Windows 7 PC and it hasn't surfaced since. I just reloaded Windows 7 for the third time on this PC due to hardware changes. Now that I'm starting from scratch again we'll see if the same problems surface again. Perhaps if you don't believe my words I'll take screen captures of all the problems and post links to them on this form. Just so you know i'm not making it up. But for some reason I still think you'll deny their existence.
    Last edited by pbolduc; August 11th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbolduc View Post
    The reason why I've written what I have written is in hopes that some Microsoft programmer reading this form can perhaps bring up some of these points during their next meeting and take into consideration these changes for future builds.
    Then go post on the Technet forums where people from microsoft are likely to see it instead of standing on your soap box here.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans