Windows 7 Shortfalls

Thread: Windows 7 Shortfalls

Threaded View

Sounds good to me

Matridom

In terms of file system versions the reason why I thought the file systems were slightly different was because of the addition of Junctions and Symbolic links as i mentioned earlier mklink etc... But I guess this is a feature of the operating system and not of the file system and I was looking at the operating system version instead of the NTFS file system version. Which might explain why the file system problems from XP carried over to Windows 7 since the version hasn't been changed. Then this wouldn't be a problem with Windows 7 but a problem more specifically to NTFS.

Back to the file permissions mystery. I am not sure what causes the files or folders to lose their ACL as I always end up catching the end result. Access Denied when copying files. If I knew how to create this problem myself i'd of told you how by now. That's why I call it a problem because I don't have an answer on how to duplicate it just how to resolve it when it does surface. I think it might have something to do with perhaps a heavy load on the file system when the drive is accessing multiple files at the same time and for some reason it doesn't keep or remember the file permissions on a particular file.

However, what I can do for next time this happens, I will take a screen shot of the parent folder which will have the proper permissions to indicate that the permissions will apply to all child objects beneth this folder. I will then show you that the child objects will not be inheriting the parent permissions properly and I will take another screen shot of the file or folder which has lost its ownership information so you can see first hand what the problem looks like. Otherwise I will establish a logmein type of remote session with you so you can see first hand what I am talking about.

I've even had a problem where taking ownership and pushing the permissions failed to work properly in Windows 7. What I had to do was compress the file into a zip file stripping its permissions. Then extracting the file back to the file system just so I could restore the NTFS file permissions. So far I've only seen that once in my life and only in Windows 7 where I actually had to zip a file because the file system would not allow me access to the file. I have also seen this type of permission problem from within the Windows Registry as well in Windows 7. I'm assuming the permission schema is very similiar.
    Last edited by pbolduc; August 11th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.