Windows 7 Shortfalls - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Shortfalls

Please read this!

Hey guys,

Amazing news... besides Duke Nukem 3D is now under the wing of Gearbox software.

Please check this link out for all those people who enjoy the old school ways of doing things in Windows. It practically addresses most of my visual concerns with Windows 7. Here's the link:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Absolutely amazing,
    Paul

There are a lot of alternate shells out there. Aston Shell, Windowsblinds, and KDE windows to name a few. I wouldn't say it's fixing any problems it's just giving it a new paintjob. Personally I prefer the Win7 feel and usage and I only use Aston or KDE for my windows XP machines, generally Aston for desktops and KDE for my laptops. I would rather Kubuntu with its KDE desktop over XP and begrudgingly only use XP to play games with my GF because the games are too old to work on anything newer.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Addons are nothing more then new ways to crash systems that run just fine. If you dont like 7 for goodness sakes get rid of it and get yer windows 98 or ME back,stop harping about it and be happy.
    Oh and that news about The Duke is nothing more then pipe dreams as it has been over and over and over again till we see something real.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Okay again my point was missed. I know there are a lot of alternative shells out there. That's not the point. The point is this shell does the best job at resembling the look and feel of Microsoft XP shell.

Anyway, just to let you know Ferrit I was running the Windows 7 Shell and after installing the Virtualization XP on my windows 7 PC my Windows 7 Shell would take 30 seconds to load before i would see my desktop icons. After changing to this third party shell I no longer have a delay with the winlogon process during startup right before the shell loads its now instant. So in this case it looks like this third party program in my instance has only bettered my clean install of Microsoft Windows 7 with Virtual Windows XP Mode. Just for the record. While I do agree that there is a lot of third party crap out there, there is also an awesome minority of good freeware that actually puts the paid software to shame.
    Last edited by pbolduc; September 8th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.

That's wonderful.
    All I can say is good luck with that
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

If you're worried about boot time there are methods to cut the frills and get the boot time from bios post to windows 7 desktop in 8 seconds. Here's a few links to similar methods. The 8 second boot is in a magazine I have and I really don't want to have to find it AND retype the article since it spans 2 pages.

http://www.computingunleashed.com/sp...-guide-to.html

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; September 8th, 2010 at 07:04 AM.
    One Script to find them.

Ferrit, save your breath.

There is almost no technical or research proof to justify the claims. Its turned into a thread about someone who is stuck on XP and who is trying to push their opinions and preferences on other people.

I've gone to the point of putting the OP on my ignore list.

One of the chat topics covers this thread very succinctly
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html[/QUOTE]

Heh some of these should read how to run windows 7 on trash hardware
    LOL 1 gig processor 32 or 64 bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Thanks

Hi Niclo Iste,

Thanks for posting those links. Can't wait to go over them when I get home tonight. If it can fly on trash hardware it will be ludicrous speed on decent hardware. My biggest mistake when building my computer was buying 4 cheap seagate sata hard-drives and using a fake onboard raid controller to manage my RAID1+0 running windows 7. I think my next purchase will be a Adaptec RAID 5805 hardware raid controller..

Matridom if you ever need some work experience come for a ride along i'll be more than happy to show you what goes on in the real world.
    Last edited by pbolduc; September 8th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html

Heh some of these should read how to run windows 7 on trash hardware
    LOL 1 gig processor 32 or 64 bit
    They should really put disclaimers on those "tweaks" cause if i applied them, my computer would crawl down to the speed of a slug. I really can't believe someone is would be stupid enough to recommend these tweaks without first seeing if they are applicable.

Take my system for example. If i apply just about any of the hard drive optimization tweaks, it will cause my SSD drives to actually loose in performance and shorten the lifespan. Do they make note of that? nope.

The OS performance tweaks, like the ones that disable Aero, File indexing and sidbars are disabling some of the most important time saving features i use to operate my computer effectively. There is not a day that goes by that i don't use the windows peak feature, saves me tons of time hunting for the correct window.

The only one of these features that is currently a hot topic for SSD owners is the File Indexing. This is due to the fact that it can create unneeded wear on the drive without causing a tangeable increase in performance. Other believe that once the indexing is done, there is minimal wear and with the information loaded into memory, the indexing is faster then what the SSD could perform to.

Disabling security features like UAC is just plain stupid and i would slap across the face with a large slimy, stinky trout anyone idiotic enough to recommends disabling this feature.

And then the programs...

CCleaner and it's ilke, if improperly used can screw over a computer. Just last week we had a guest in the chat who had to reformat and install windows cause he used it to clean his registry. It had cleared out all his restore points and stuff, he was screwed.

so consider this a *HUGE* disclaimer to take anything on those pages with a grain of salt and to make sure they apply BEFORE using them.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Like I said "Good Luck" with that.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Just thought of this when I woke up. Here is a link to an old thread that had many people with the belief that xp was nothing great. So it just really is a matter of time for people to get used to it AND companies to make more stable programs for the new OS until we see a decline in "I hate version XX of windows".

Old Windows XP Thread

What I'm trying to say is, I understand you don't feel comfortable with Win7, however progress doesn't stop because someone doesn't like it. The most successful thing to do is adapt, cope, and embrace the changes. I even looked at Vista and 7 with adversity but I also decided it was more prudent to observe other peoples reactions first so I knew what common issues to expect and then when I got the versions I tried to have answers already to solve them. After that it was me solving problems as I encountered them. The nice thing is after I observed people I realized that about 90% of the "problems" were people who were afraid to learn a new way of doing things. Win7 turned out to be a great experience and I was more than happy to install the 64bit Ultimate version on my main system. Oh and by the way 9 out of 10 programs that "won't work" can work if you have the patience to research why they won't work in the new OS.
    One Script to find them.

To Clarify

Hi guys,

Thanks Niclo Iste for your professional opinion without making me feel like a retard. Once again you hit the nail on the head, I really do appreciate your feedback and the time you take to write a quality reply.

I also would like to follow up with something I mentioned in my previous post and it has been bugging me but I just haven't had the opporunity until now to make a correction to my last statement. I was blaming the windows 7 shell for loading extremely slow at start-up. To my surprise changing to the classic modified Luna theme did not correct my problem as I originally thought. The delay at start-up turns out to be caused from a mapped drive letter I have to my NAS box, which isn't always turned on. When NAS device is running Windows 7 boots up to the desktop fast. But when that connection is disconnected because my NAS box is turned off there is a good 15 second delay before the desktop loads. I know there is probably a time out tweak for this in the registry to set the time out value but its really not an issue, now knowing what it is.

Anyway I just needed to clear the air since some people around here think I make up problems.

Take care
    Last edited by pbolduc; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:07 PM.

You're welcome. I also thank you for the compliment. Unfortunately my experience with the registry is limited and my experience with mapped network drives is even more limited. Hopefully someone with a better grasp on those topics can assist with the delay caused by the search.
    One Script to find them.

for myself i did find annoying bugs in win7,and i won`t go in a flaming argument,so i won`t go any further,over all it is the best os to come out from m.s.,it works real good from the start the only real problem is that i get tired of having to learn the ins and out of a new os,xp is not better it is only that after a few years working with it we know most of bugs and quirrks anr the cure for them,and i find it a pain in the bottom to have to show user some easy thing that they should see for themselve,my two pennies