Vista system-start drivers failed to load

Thread: Vista system-start drivers failed to load

Unhappy Vista system-start drivers failed to load

3 years ago i built a friend a Windows Vista Home Basic PC with a MSI K9N6PGM2 motherboard with 2 KB Kingston memory. 100Gb Seagate SATA hard drive and a MSI video card. He was reading E-mail this morning and he started getting reboot after reboot. I tied running it in safe more and got this error
    "The fowling boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load: mfehidk, spldr,wanarpv6, wanarpv6."
    What options do I have to try and repair this Drive/PC or is a format and reinstall my only option? Thanks, Don

Well you should check into the usual suspects first. I would do a check disk for any bad/corrupted sectors. If there are bad sectors backup the drive and get a new one. If it's corruption the checkdisk will fix it. If that fails to resolve the issue I suggest slaving the drive and doing a virus scan. You may have to do a windows repair installation IF that is what caused it but you must first remove the infection if there is one. Fianlly if you get no results the next 3 things to look at are RAM, the Processor, and the motherboard. One may be failing.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I should have mentioned I ran ran chdsk in safe mode and it it found no errors of any kind. I could not seem to get McAfee to run in Safe Mode and I noticed a lot of its features were turned off....Don

You either need to slave the drive into another computer to do the scan or you need a reliable command line virus scanner.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

To me i would be doing exactly what Niclo said. Slave the drive into another computer ad scan it both with a good antivirus(and I don't mean mcrappee) and a good malware program like Malwarebtes before I looked at hardware. A rootkit scanner is a good choice as well.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Good advice. mfehidk.sys is a McAfee component, and spldr.sys is the Windows Security Processes Loader. So, while it might be a memory problem, for instance, I'd have to say that the fact that this happened while reading email would be more consistent with an infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    To me i would be doing exactly what Niclo said. Slave the drive into another computer ad scan it both with a good antivirus(and I don't mean mcrappee) and a good malware program like Malwarebtes before I looked at hardware. A rootkit scanner is a good choice as well.
    Two weeks ago, I ran some malware scans on a computer with McAfee installed, updated, and working (as well as it ever works at least). The first pass of Malwarebytes detected 255 infected files (mostly mysearch & mywebsearch with a few Vundos and Zlobs, etc.) which McAfee failed to detect. Though I will say that some (mostly corporate attorneys in CYA mode) don't consider My Search to be malware, I do. among other things, it can break Internet connectivity.

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone. I ran McAfee in safe mode and then I changed the boot sequence and went to the repair consol and tried the start up options and it didn't fix it, but then I went to system restore and it is now working perfectly. I am a little worried after reading about McAfee and the infections...Thanks again...Don