Issue w/ Laptop Concerning My Battery - Help!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Issue w/ Laptop Concerning My Battery - Help!

Issue w/ Laptop Concerning My Battery - Help!

My laptop battery is fine, nothing wrong with it. But, I have to connect then reconnect my power cable to my laptop over time to get my battery fully recharged. I dont know why it does this, but thats the only way I recharge it.

Theres a blue light indicator on my lartop that indicates that the battery is fully charged. When it turns red, it indicates low battery. It never changes to blue. I get the red light all the time. Thats when I disconnect then reconnect the power cable to get the battery recharged fully.

How do I fix my laptop so that the battery gets recharged fully witnout me having to continue to reconnect the power cable?

Try a new power adapter or have the connection where it goes to the laptop checked
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Check with the manufacturer to see if this problem is endemic to your model, there may be a recall or even just a simple bios update to fix this. If not, then Ferrit is most likey right as usual.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Interesting info here;

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"Basically, power down the laptop and then remove the AC adapter plug. Remove the battery, perhaps wait a minute. Then put the battery back in and then plug in the hp pavilion dv6000 ac adapter plug. You then should see the charger light come on showing the battery is charging. Perhaps wait a few minutes before powering on the laptop to confirm that the battery is indeed charging. The problem seems to be in the logic (not sure where, if it is the software driver, etc.) when the laptop is on, it doesn’t get a charge. But with the laptop off, plugging in a battery after it has been removed – it works with a simpler charger system that doesn’t use the computers’s main CPU.

Also second , it is clear with my 6000, that the battery can discharge all the way after some time when powered down even though it had say 50% or more! This is well beyond the normal battery idle loss over time and I suspect the laptop has turned on in some way to drain the battery. So I always remove the battery after I have powered down the laptop, and I have not had any battery problems since then!"

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    Interesting info here;

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"Basically, power down the laptop and then remove the AC adapter plug. Remove the battery, perhaps wait a minute. Then put the battery back in and then plug in the hp pavilion dv6000 ac adapter plug. You then should see the charger light come on showing the battery is charging. Perhaps wait a few minutes before powering on the laptop to confirm that the battery is indeed charging. The problem seems to be in the logic (not sure where, if it is the software driver, etc.) when the laptop is on, it doesn’t get a charge. But with the laptop off, plugging in a battery after it has been removed – it works with a simpler charger system that doesn’t use the computers’s main CPU.

Also second , it is clear with my 6000, that the battery can discharge all the way after some time when powered down even though it had say 50% or more! This is well beyond the normal battery idle loss over time and I suspect the laptop has turned on in some way to drain the battery. So I always remove the battery after I have powered down the laptop, and I have not had any battery problems since then!"
    thanks cct.. but i think thats what ive basically been doing all along.

"thanks cct.. but i think thats what ive basically been doing all along."

Yes - the point being "The problem seems to be in the logic (not sure where, if it is the software driver, etc.) when the laptop is on, it doesn’t get a charge. But with the laptop off, plugging in a battery after it has been removed – it works with a simpler charger system that doesn’t use the computers’s main CPU."

So, you need to research that problem within those parameters, see if there was a manufacturer 'fix' or a customer lawsuit, and go that way.

Bottom line is, you CAN get it to charge and thus have an unwieldy BUT workable 'fix' where many people have nada.

Just my two cents but the DV6000 series from my experiences and research is a shoddy and problem riddled series even back at the dv2000 up to the 6000. Power bricks failing, mass reports of the LCDs going out too soon and so on. If there isn't a recall or lawsuit for your issue yet I'm sure there will be one in the near future.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Maybe I am losing it, but where does it say the user has a DV6000? Shark, please let us know what make and model you have, perhaps it is something as simple as an intermittent power connection from the power brick to the mainboard. Or an iffy battery. There may also be a docking station that you could purchase that would bypass the traditional charging circuit and charge through the docking station itself.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Also, is it under warranty? If so, send it back with a stern note!

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Maybe I am losing it, but where does it say the user has a DV6000? Shark, please let us know what make and model you have, perhaps it is something as simple as an intermittent power connection from the power brick to the mainboard. Or an iffy battery. There may also be a docking station that you could purchase that would bypass the traditional charging circuit and charge through the docking station itself.

Actually, I never alluded that the poster had that specific computer - the details emulate his dilemna and the 'fix' is apparently what he does, SO it makes sense that the follow-up would be at/through a search of the manufacturer, as I stated.

Sorry, CCT! My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    hi, guts3d.. to answer your questions, i got a gateway m210 series laptop. and the battery is not iffy... its brand new.

Last edited by shark; September 23rd, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Here is Gateway's link for your model laptop:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...008255nv.shtml

Under Components, make sure you have the proper charger and battery.

Also, notice the link for User's Guides...your's is available for download.

Also, FAQs located here:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...08255fql.shtml

They have a section on Battery.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by DonJ; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    Here is Gateway's link for your model laptop:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...008255nv.shtml

Under Components, make sure you have the proper charger and battery.

Also, notice the link for User's Guides...your's is available for download.

Also, FAQs located here:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...08255fql.shtml

They have a section on Battery.

Good Luck!
    donj, thanks, but i already know this and the laptop keeps acting up on the battery. weird.

I'd be leaning in the direction of the power brick or the motherboard, specifically the part of the board that the charging goes though. Seems more of a hardware issue to me.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.