Rebooting No Image

Thread: Rebooting No Image

Hybrid View

Rebooting No Image

Sometimes when I reboot the computer it will run through the bios the monitor power light is green but there is no image on the screen. Sometimes I have to restart the computer three or four times before it comes up normal. After it is started up it will work fine and it doesn't happen but once every few days. I have changed the cables, I have taken out the video card and used onboard video and nothing seems to help. The only thing on the motherbard now is the sound card.

Unless you are not getting an error code ( if so please post! ) it sounds like the hard drive is going flakey, the image of Windows is having issues, or that the BIOS needs to be updated. Can you always get a display of the CMOS everytime? If so, I'd look at the hard drive or the load of Windows as the culprit. If not, I suspect a hardware issue and look at the capacitors for leaking or popping.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I just updated the bios so I will see if that helps. It always runs through the bios settings when I restart it. There are no error codes sounding.

It may well be an electrical problem. Now that could either be the power supply or the motherboard. As Guts3D said check the motherboard for leaky capacitors.
    If the board appears good you might want to try a test power supply that you know is good.
    What may be happening is the video is not initializing correctly.
    It is fine while it is in (dos) basic video mode for the start up but when it tries to load the more demanding modes for windows it fails
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I've had IDE/SATA cables go bad and do this, also recently I had a hard drive which some how had a broken plastic tab where the SATA cable plugged in and that was causing the same issue.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I will have to try changing the Sata cable as I have tested the PS. It seems to restart normally for days and then all of a sudden it will bother. I have looked at the Motherboard when I have had the cover off and everything looks fine.

Niclo, I remembered after I posted that I have had to change cables in the past also. I had one persons computer that wouldn't boot up because of a bad sata cable and another that took a long time to boot because of a bad ide cable for the CD drives.