No internet - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No internet

I am not 100% sure about the Alcatel Speedtouch 510 but looking on Google i really dont think it is windows 7 compatible.If it is provided by your ISP why not request a change to one that is windows 7 compatible?
    What firmware version is the modem running?
    Last edited by futuretech; May 1st, 2011 at 11:27 AM.

The firmware version is 4.0.2.0.0, but the most recent firmware is from 2005 or thereabout.

Have you tried to uncheck TCP/IP V6 in the properties of the network card and see if that helps?

Tried it, but didn't help.

Did you have to purchase that modem or was it provided by the ISP?
    If you have a spare router and know all the logon info you could always try setting it (the speedstream 510) to bridge mode and connecting a router.

The router was free when I started with ADSL. I'll try to get/borrow another router to test it. I have all settings information.

Quote Originally Posted by panhead View Post
    Well, that is of course an option. What could be the cause of this behavior?
    Well, that is an excellent question, but difficult to answer with precision. Third party firewall, when uninstalled, often break TCP/IP. So, if you once ran Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, AVG 2011, etc. that could be a cause. And frankly, even for those of us in the business, it's possible to overlook some of the changes to network settings that can block Internet access, especially when you're tired or frustrated. Never hurts to double check and make sure you don't have any hijacked settings for a proxy server, or DNS servers.

And, sometimes, stuff just gets corrupted or damaged. I would always suggest running System File Checker before a format and clean installtion, and you might try resetting Winsock. Per MS KB 936211:

To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and in Start Search, type cmd.
    Right-click the cmd entry that appears in the search results, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    netsh winsock reset
    Then, you should see the following message:
    Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.
    Restart the computer.
    Note If you receive an “Access Denied” error message instead of the message that is mentioned in step 3, the command prompt was not correctly elevated. In this case, close the Command Prompt window, and repeat steps 1 through 3. Make sure that you correctly implement step 2.

If you still don't have a connection, try resetting the Hosts file (rerun immunization afterwards):

Let me fix it myself
    To reset the Hosts file back to the default yourself, follow these steps:
    Click Start, type drivers in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    Click the entry for drivers that is displayed in the search results. The icon next to drivers will be a folder.
    A window appears that will display Windows > system32 > drivers in the address bar at the top. Double-click the etc folder.
    Locate and right-click the hosts file, and then click Rename.
    Type oldhosts, and then press ENTER. If you receive the following error message click Continue:
    You need to confirm this operation.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    Restart the computer to make sure that the change takes effect.
    Test Internet Explorer.
    Check whether the configuration of the Winsock protocol and the HOSTS file is reset. If it is, you are finished with this section. If the Winsock protocol or HOSTS file is not reset, you can contact support.

Thanks for the reply, I will give it a try when I'm home.

slgrieb: I tried resetting the winsock settings and after the restart I had internet access! I'll try it a few more times and let you know.

Well, that didn't last long, only 1 time connection. The second solution (rename hosts file) also no success.

Just thought of this since you mentioned winsock. I know with winXP they had the winsock fix tool. I wonder if there is a variant of that out there for win7 or even if the xp tool works on 7.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Just thought of this since you mentioned winsock. I know with winXP they had the winsock fix tool. I wonder if there is a variant of that out there for win7 or even if the xp tool works on 7.
    LSPFix and all the other old warhorses aren't Win7 compatible. I've seen sites listing Win7 compatible tools for download, but these days I wouldn't download one of them unless I have a divine vision telling me it is OK. Using netsh to clean Winsock should be sufficient; it also deletes current LSPs and may even force a user to reinstall some software after using it.

In a similar vein, it might be worth trying netsh int ip reset from a command prompt to reset TCP/IP to the default state, but at this point I'm doubtful. Reinstallation is looking like a good option.

I can do a re installation, but if this is a Windows 7 problem it can return?

Quote Originally Posted by panhead View Post
    I can do a re installation, but if this is a Windows 7 problem it can return?
    The problem you describe certainly isn't a "Windows 7" problem per se; it's the kind of issue you can see for many different reasons that certainly aren't limited to one OS.

In particular Win7 64bit is very secure, and extremely hard to break, even compared to 32bit win7, let alone XP and earlier versions.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Again, I say, Format and Reload.
    Sergeant WOTPP