What ever happened to the old Guys ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What ever happened to the old Guys ??

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    An odd note, why the heck is my post count so low? I used to have like 30k posts...
    Hey ILTU. I think it's pruning that has happened, either planned or accidental, during forum software upgrades. That's when it seems to happen. I know my count went down a bit in the past, but yours is extreme...

We all come and go. Lot's of other distractions to keep us occupied.
    My count is still on track! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    ...problem with any tech forum is posters who think they know more than ....
    It is a problem. It happens to be why I left this forum for several years. When a regular poster decides that he knows more than ANY one else offering advice, it's time to let that personality do ALL the troubleshooting.

If it had been a moderator, that is one thing. But he was just a member, like I'm a member. I was not about to get into a p*ssing contest. Particularly since the original poster with an issue was not complete in their details of the situation. That alone lends itself to myriad possibilites. But when egomaniacs decide that their advice is the best and only advice, why freakin' bother?
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    ...why the heck is my post count so low? ...
    Who cares?

When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Hey ILTU. I think it's pruning that has happened, either planned or accidental, during forum software upgrades. That's when it seems to happen. I know my count went down a bit in the past, but yours is extreme...
    Oh yeah, I remember that now. I remembered like 5 minutes after posting that and logging off.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Eyed View Post
    Who cares?

It used to be a big deal here, not anymore. Was just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Eyed View Post
    It is a problem. It happens to be why I left this forum for several years. When a regular poster decides that he knows more than ANY one else offering advice, it's time to let that personality do ALL the troubleshooting.

If it had been a moderator, that is one thing. But he was just a member, like I'm a member. I was not about to get into a p*ssing contest. Particularly since the original poster with an issue was not complete in their details of the situation. That alone lends itself to myriad possibilites. But when egomaniacs decide that their advice is the best and only advice, why freakin' bother?
    Well, actually, I wanted to focus on how rude and argumentative folks asking for help have become, but I think that you are spot on with your observation. I go a round or two pretty often with a moderator on another forum who is convinced he's the arbiter of security issues. My take is that most of his posts are written when he is cognitively impaired, and at most other times he is simply wrong more often than not. But, he's a mod, so how much can you do?

Well, the world ain't perfect, and we all just strive to make it better in our own way. So, whatcha reading?
    Last edited by slgrieb; July 22nd, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Well, actually, I wanted to focus on how rude and argumentative folks asking for help have become, ...

So, whatcha reading?
    It seems rude and argumentative have become the norm. Whether asking for help or giving it. Whether discussing the weather, or the news, or simply driving down the road, there's always someone who knows more, is more important than you, and wants YOU to know that they know more than you and you should just stfu and listen to them/take their advice or heed the right-of-way to them whether it's theirs or not.

I just give them the right-of-way and crank up the tunes. Now I need new speakers in my car.

I just finished book #4 of the Sword of Truth. Went on a little trip and brought the book on CD and listened to it on the road. My 17 y/o was blase about it (even thought she got us into the series to begin with!) but my son got hooked on the story!