Seeking Nortel 325-24T Expert with VLAN Knowledge.

Thread: Seeking Nortel 325-24T Expert with VLAN Knowledge.

Seeking Nortel 325-24T Expert with VLAN Knowledge.

Hi there,

I am hoping to find someone who is really familiar with the Nortel 325-24T managed switch. I am having a specific problem between slow transfers between VLAN segments.

I have a network with 4 VLAN's setup and configured. Not all VLAN's can communicate with one another and are controller by firewall policies on the Router.

My network diagram looks like this:
    Internet--> to VLAN Router to ---> Managed Nortel Switch to: --->
    Unmanaged Switch VLan Segment 1
    Unmanaged Switch VLan Segment 2
    Unmanaged Switch VLan Segment 3
    Unmanaged Switch VLan Segment 4

The cable from the VLAN router to the Nortel switch is my trunk connection.
    The Unmanaged Switch connections to the Nortel Switch are configured as "access ports"

When transferring large files from within the same VLAN segment things transfer fast.
    When transferring large files from the Internet to the VLAN Segment the Download happens fast.
    When transferring large files from the VLAN Segment 1 to Segment 2, files transfer slower than a dialup internet connection.

Performing a trace route from VLAN Segment 1 to 2 shows exactly 2 hops under 1ms.
    Performing a trace route from VLAN Segment 2 to 1 shows exactly 2 hops under 1 ms.

So I know there is nothing wrong with the routing as it all appears normal and not trying to route over the internet.

The Switch indicates that there are no collisions occuring between the segments.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by pbolduc; July 27th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.

Problem Solved

Well I've luckily fixed my problem. It turned out it was a managed port configuration incompatibility with the duplex setting on one of the VLAN ports. Once I changed one of my managed VLAN ports to use the Auto-Negotiate for the duplex transfer speed my problems cleared up and its screaming fast now!