Counterfeit Parts Found on P-8 Poseidons

Thread: Counterfeit Parts Found on P-8 Poseidons

Counterfeit Parts Found on P-8 Poseidons

Yet another interesting story from defensetech.org. Turns out that Boeing's new P-8 Poseidon anti-sub, surveillance, etc. etc. etc. aircraft has some phony electronics made from poorly refurbished, salvaged junk parts. And, yes, some are in mission-critical systems. Now, for 10 points and a virtual Propeller Beanie, guess the country of origin for the fake parts.

Full story here. Be sure to check out the photos at the end of the article.
    Last edited by slgrieb; November 8th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

UPDATE: Levin says he is crafting an amendment to the FY-12 defense authorization bill that would require inspections of all electronic parts coming from China — similar to the way foreign agricultural products are inspected upon entry to the U.S. Levin’s proposed legislation would also mandate tougher verification systems for military parts suppliers.

Sigh. This year, the Guts3d household is having a "No Import" Christmas. No gifts manufactured anywhere but the good ol' U.S. of A. will be allowed. If this goes well, I might duplicate it next year and on birthdays as well.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I almost posted this article when I first read it, but I didn't. Well, I guess it seems even more relevant now. An excerpt:

on Oct. 17, Virginia Congressman Randy Forbes ® wrote Defense Secretary Leon Panetta urging him to investigate a partnership between U.S. defense giant GE and China’s AVIC aviation company aimed at building civil integrated modular avionics systems based on those that were first developed for the F-22 Raptor and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

“Given [the technology’s] military origin, I am deeply concerned, once in [China], it will wind up aiding the military aviation programs of the People’s Liberation Army Air Force, which is even now developing its J-20 fifth-generation fighter that appears intended to threaten U.S. air supremacy in East Asia,” reads Forbes’ letter to Panetta.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2011/11/04/la...#ixzz1dFpnlVK9
    Defense.org

Maybe it's finally time to start having companies based solely out of the USA taking pride in their work and producing quality products again.

Personally I'd rather pay more for a reliable and good product than a shoddy junk one. Quality over quantity as they say.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.