[RESOLVED] Zida board problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] Zida board problems

jc

Unhappy Zida board problems

I have a Zida 5SVX pentium board that only boots from very cold .A PCI post test card indicates that the board isn't getting a reset signal on reboot??I think its a bios issue but am unable to find a new bios for it .anybody know where i can get it ,or suggest a fix??
    Zida.com only have a 5SVA !

------------------
    If quitters never win,and winners never quit, what fool came up with "quit while you're ahead "?

lycia69

Are you sure the reset wire is positioned on the pins on the motherboard? Make sure that the Reset wire is correctly aligned according to the manual.

StevePorter

Thumbs up

You can get a BIOS update from here ("5SVX0110.EXE" near bottom)...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Originally posted by jc:
    I have a Zida 5SVX pentium board that only boots from very cold .A PCI post test card indicates that the board isn't getting a reset signal on reboot??I think its a bios issue but am unable to find a new bios for it .anybody know where i can get it ,or suggest a fix??
    Personally I don't think, what it can solve Your problem,but anyway,try it. You see,Zida
    uses very cheap (and thus,unreliable) capacitors in their MoBos. In some board I had to replace up to half capacitors having to solve all problems...Go figure...
    1. If updating BIOS don't fix Your problem, try to replace small capacitor(usually 10Mkf,16 or 25V)located near MoBo reset/speaker/IDE LED an so on connector (of course, only if You're familiar with soldering iron!)
    2. Another suggestion - I've seen some incompatibility issues with exactly Zida's VX-chipset based MoBos (5DVX,5SVX) and some S3 chipset-based video cards (mostly S3Trio64 and S3Trio64V+). Try to use another videocard...

But probably the best solution will be - replacing MoBo.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

jc

Talking

thanks guys .
    i'm just waiting for the caps .
    When they arrive i'll let you know how it goes .

------------------
    If quitters never win,and winners never quit, what fool came up with "quit while you're ahead "?

capacitors are least expensive parts on the MB but yet, its one that most MB manufactures pay very little attention to, and yet it can cause the most problems.... go figure!

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...®
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

condor

Question

Excuse me.

Only junk level motherboards have crappy Capsitors on them !

If you buy a good mobo like Asus, Abit and many other name brands and avoid PCchips, crusader and other low quality and unknown brands you won't have this problem.

The $10-15 you save on buying a mobo can cost you a lot of money in the long runs.
    I've seen bad motherboards kill perfectly good hardware (RAM,CPU and so on..) all you need is a slight change in the current to fry the delicate electronics.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

It was a typo... I should have said some, instead I stated most.

I agree, ASUS is all I use anymore!

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...®
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

Originally posted by condor:
    Excuse me.

Only junk level motherboards have crappy Capsitors on them !

Exactly what I wanted to say!

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha