Prometheus (Spoilers inside)

Thread: Prometheus (Spoilers inside)

Thumbs up Prometheus (Spoilers inside)

I saw Prometheus this weekend. Not a bad movie. In fact I liked it a lot for what it was. A Sci-Fi suspense thriller. It made you think and fill in the gaps as if you were the one piecing together history of the story. I like how everything wasn't explained because you're seeing it as an observer. I do dislike the reviews coming out saying it's a terrible movie and it's nothing like Aliens and the movies after. My only response is if you want explosions go see a Michael Bay movie. If you want a good movie to work with Alien and its original story type then by all means watch this.

Now on to the Spoilers:

People complain that the outfits or even the sleek design of the ship are not what you expect from the era and such. Who cares it's a story not a re-enactment of events.

There's the dispute that the alien isn't the same type or that the alien doens't look exactly the same. It's a prequel and when you understand the idea that it's a biological weapon then you might get the understanding that there might be different versions of said weapon or even permutations of such weapon based on DNA strands/species it gestates from.

Many people argue and dispute over the Andriod and don't understand why it's tasked with the survival and servicing of the crew why it would jeopardize them. Let's look back to Alien. The series of the Android in that one was later mentioned to have stabliity issues in Aliens. When you realize this one is a precursor to that you realize maybe there were flaws inherent in all precursor models. Given that let's look at this from another aspect. It's an AI there are no moral codes so to say given to it. Sure there may be ones of don't directly hurt the crew, take care of them etc. However it's also programmed to learn and discover. Think of it as a child with the power to do more than a child ever could, learn faster and a curiosity with infinite ways of fulfilling the desire to learn. This android could then therefore be as dangerous as an idiot with a gun. There was even the off comment that it made of "doesn't everyone wish their parents dead?" A clear indication that the machine is different in reasoning than we are and also has no emotional ties. It also indicates that it realizes we all die so there is no denying the inevitable.

One of my other favorites is "How come the Nostromo crew didn't find the bodies and wreckage?" I'm going to fathom a guess that it's a hard thing to do when you're investigating a totally different planet.

I could pull all kinds of negative comments from the web and spend all day on this but I'll refer to my earlier comment. If you liked ALIEN you probably will like this. If you liked the action movies with no meaning and lots of explosions I suggest waiting until Michael Bay finishes "Brotastic Intergalactic Martial Arts Half Shelled Reptilians" or whatever he envisions it should be called.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Funny how even now that SF and Fantasy are mainstream, many reviewers still don't know how to handle the genres. Many times, I think that's more of a factor in SF&F reviews than the movies themselves.

John Carter certainly isn't a cinematic masterpiece, but I thought it was a good adaptation of Burroughs, even if it is a chimera of A Princess of Mars and The Gods of Mars that actually has fairly little resemblance to either. I don't intend to write a book review here, but for the benefit of anyone who hasn't read the Barsoom novels (or hasn't read them since they were 13 or so) there are many, many elements in the books that wouldn't play well before today's audiences. Overall I thought John Carter made the most of Burroughs' more imaginative elements while avoiding his worst pitfalls. Most critics, however, disagreed. Strongly.

So, I expect I'm going to like Prometheus a lot better than most of the reviewers.

Hey, I liked it.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

to you both
    One Script to find them.

Honestly i dont really spend much time listening to reviewers.
    They positively trashed Real Steel and i watched it twice cause it was that good.
    Honestly they should get a real job.
    From what I have seen in the trailers and such i think it looks like an awesome show.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Each person has their own dislikes and likes. It depends where the majority land whether it's good or bad. Sure, some big budget movie like Battleship can be really bad and yet Avengers is well made. I think Prometheus is somewhere in between. I'm glad Scott Ridley came back to do this one. Prometheus may not be a big blockbuster, but it will do well and fans of the Alien Movie Franchise will see this movie no matter what.

Spoiler alert!

It bothered me when they found the Aliens' DNA to be identical to ours.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I agree. Trace similarities indicating a relationship in origin would seem more accurate in my mind. I mean seriously looking at the time span and degrees of evolution you'd think there would have been variation to it. At least that's how I understand it to work with DNA. I could be wrong, considering I clearly did not get a degree as a bio-engineer.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; June 20th, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
    One Script to find them.

Remember "Mission to Mars"? They had a puzzle that the aliens left where they gave the first part of DNA and if you were smart enough to deliver the last 2 nucleotides of the DNA sequence, the mountain opened up and you got to meet the alien... sort of...