Road Trip!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip!

Road Trip!

The Air Force has decided in its infinite wisdom to send me to San Antonio, Texas for a week for training. All this to do a job that I have been doing for years now. Sigh. The website that my company insists that I use to book plane tickets, lodging, and car rental came up with a quote 4 times as much as I found through the web. My boss pooh-poohed this; I guess that I'll do what the company wants.

I'll try to drop in and post from sunny San Antonio; I'll have an armored laptop and try to connect from the poolside, but no promises make I!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Good luck and try not to learn too much ok
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Hey, Guts! that puts you only 535 miles from where I live. I lived in Austin for 24 years, and my wife and I have family in San Antonio as well as Austin. San Antonio is a beautiful city, and generally easy to navigate, though some of the older downtown areas are confusing.

I suppose that in the current corporate tradition you'll have basically zero time to spend sight seeing, which is really sad. At the least, you should have a chance to see the Alamo and have a drink or two along the Riverwalk. Hopefully, you wont be stuck at Lackland or Kelly.

It should only be in the low 100'sē while you're there

Enjoy the dry heat out there. I miss that since all we have here is the humidity. Don't forget it's not called pop in Texas it's all called coke. Example, "Hi I'd like a burger and a large orange coke". At least that's what I was told by all the Texans that I've met which isn't too many.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    It should only be in the low 100'sē while you're there
    According to my mother-in-law, highs will only be around 105, with humidity in the mid-thirties. Gotta look on the bright side: San Antonio is "cool" in a lot of other ways. And, he could have been shipped off to Houston, which is pretty much my idea of Hell on Earth.

Dash temp read 111 today, when I blithely drove past my exit. Merrily, the Hurtz GPS figured I wanted the Holiday Inn that the last user wanted, not the one I carefully entered into the machine. 78 miles later, I was lucky enough to turn around and head back. The pool is out of order, and I just got the Wifi fixed. ( It had been down all day and they just figured out how to fix it when I got here.) Texas seems to be either strip malls or highways. That's all I can see since my arrival, after class tomorrow I'll go check out the Riverwalk. Hopefully, the GPS will get this one right!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    ..........................The website that my company insists that I use to book plane tickets, lodging, and car rental came up with a quote 4 times as much as I found through the web................

You of course realize that the diverted funds go to clandestine operations which the Amercun People NEED to survive the crazies?

Button the lips that sink ships.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    You of course realize that the diverted funds go to clandestine operations which the Amercun People NEED to survive the crazies?

Button the lips that sink ships.

That's right, button those lips. Because it's the job of our leaders to spill those secrets minutes before/after the clandestine operations occure

Outside of that, Guts did you notice how friggin nice the roads are in Texas? That was one thing that I noticed is that the highways are well maintained. Then again even bombed out Syrian roadways look better than Pittsburgh's.
    One Script to find them.

If you go to the RiverWalk - wait till the sun goes down... It'll at least get down to 88'ish degrees.... And chasing girls down there is better in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Texas seems to be either strip malls or highways. That's all I can see since my arrival, after class tomorrow I'll go check out the Riverwalk. Hopefully, the GPS will get this one right!
    Yeah, driving the Interstates or the Loops in Texas isn't like so many areas back East where you exit for gas then drive two miles down a side road to find the station. Nossir. We believe that everything you want to get to should be right on the roadside. I reckon we also don't go in much for highfalutin' nonsense like landscaping our roads, plantin' trees around 'em and the like. After all, a highway is a highway, and anyone who can't deal with one in all its raw, majestic splendor, probably doesn't belong in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Yeah, driving the Interstates or the Loops in Texas isn't like so many areas back East where you exit for gas then drive two miles down a side road to find the station. Nossir. We believe that everything you want to get to should be right on the roadside. I reckon we also don't go in much for highfalutin' nonsense like landscaping our roads, plantin' trees around 'em and the like. After all, a highway is a highway, and anyone who can't deal with one in all its raw, majestic splendor, probably doesn't belong in Texas.

I sooo do not belong in Texas! I went to Xxxxxxx's for lunch, and the bar-b-cue sauce was so hot I couldn't eat it. Tears formed in my eyes, not because I am a girly man, but the more plausible explanation that it was to save my precious retinas from the searing flames shooting from my mouth.

Outside of that, Guts did you notice how friggin nice the roads are in Texas? That was one thing that I noticed is that the highways are well maintained. Then again even bombed out Syrian roadways look better than Pittsburgh's.[/quote]

I did notice the roads were much better than the 'Burgh's, but there are so many of them, and every Texan feels it is his or her God given right to fly past me doing 85 in a 65 mile per hour zone while giving the poor lost guy the finger , signifying that I am number one in their book.

Could be worse. The first year that I lived up by D.C. there were 11 incidents of motorists shooting at other drivers on the stretch of I-95 I drove every day.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Could be worse. The first year that I lived up by D.C. there were 11 incidents of motorists shooting at other drivers on the stretch of I-95 I drove every day.
    See, this is why I think every motor vehicle should have a mounted 30mm AA gun on them. Nobody would want to tick anyone else off for fear that they might get blown up by someone else or someone who saw it all go down. But some say that's just a dumb idea. Personally I like the idea of a 30mm cannon strapped to my roof.

Kinda like the one in The Jackal

Last edited by Niclo Iste; June 27th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
    One Script to find them.