Please help!

Thread: Please help!

Please help!

Hey! Please, please, help me! This mornind I turnd my PC on and I saw some FBI message. I was told that I have to pay some fee ($100 I think) to unlock my PC.

There is no way, I thought, to have FBI on my PC. So, the answer was clear - this was some computer infection and it has attacked my system. But the solution is not clear at all. I have no idea what I have to do to remove this threat and here I really need you help.

If you know, please, let me know how I can get rid of this strange attacker and what is it in fact? Thanks !!!

I'm going to guess with the details provided that you have a Moneypak FBI virus/malware infection. A quick search on the details leads to a lot of sites with semi-useful steps that all want you to pay them to remove it. If you can't log on in safe mode and run malwarebytes you may have to actually follow some manual steps. The only thing is though it seems a lot of it requires you to edit registry keys. If you are not familiar with editing the registry you may have to go to a PC repair location to get this resolved.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

At this point, it's probably best to format and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead View Post
    At this point, it's probably best to format and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    I agree that is the best cheapest way to go. As long as you can perform that Task?
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

How you handle the cleanup really depends a lot on your resources and tenacity. Personally, I'd likely pull the drive, use a USB adapter to connect it to another computer, and try the initial removal from there using Malwarebytes and a good AV program, followed by reinstalling the drive and local scans.

If this isn't practical for you, Malwarebytes.org has a very thorough removal guide on their website. Unfortunately, this isn't a simple removal, and you'll still need access to a working computer to download the several tools you will need.

Clearly, the simplest fix is to restore a full backup from before the infection.

Guys, thanks a lot for the help! First I tried to apply these steps which are described in this link http://www.americanpendulum.com/2012...oneypak-virus/, but I didn`t manage to get rid of the infection.

Then I used Malwarebytes and it worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    Then I used Malwarebytes and it worked just fine.
    Glad that worked for you. Not to be pessimistic, but I'd still suggest running TDSSKiller, re-running MBAM (full scan) and an AV scan. Why? For starters, sometimes with a malware infection you get multiple payloads, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware isn't very effective at removing rootkits. These days, the first thing I do in any malware removal is run TDSSKiller. It's worth the time to verify that your computer is clean, and you don't have anything lurking waiting for a chance to reinstall or redownload the malware you just removed. Or worse.

In paid AV software, I suggest NOD32 or Kaspersky, and in freeware either Avira or Avast. AVG stinks, and no matter how many folks seem to really like Microsoft Security Essentials, it is a mediocre performer.